Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Ryan Shell throws his hat in the ring -- sort of

Local blogger and PR man for Truliant Federal Credit union Ryan Shell has announced he is running for Greensboro city council.

It would have been a surprise had Shell decide not to run. He has been doing all the "right" things in the past several months, serving on boards, attending the City Academy, adopting a street. Nothing wrong with a young person diving in with both feet, but Ryan's civic interest is very new: He says he has lived in Greensboro for nine years, but didn't register to vote until 2004 and then did not cast a ballot until November, 2007.

Ryan's greatest appeal in my mind is his youthful enthusiasm and good grasp of modern media and communications technology. His nice campaign web site is a good example. It is high time we had elected representatives who step into the modern age. If elected, Ryan would bring a huge advancement in constituent communications to local government. That would be a very good thing and earns Ryan some major respect right out of the gate.

On the down side, Ryan is seeking a decision-making role and seems to have a hard time making decisions. Example: Even though he is announcing his decision to run for office, he hasn't decided whether to run for his district seat (district 2) or at-large.

He seems reluctant to take a position. In a discussion at Joe Guarino's blog he equivocated on offering an opinion of Mitch Johnson's handling of the Wray affair and, when pressed, backed out of the conversation saying, "I don't want my comments to be taken wrong."

He also recently wrote that the problem with Time Warner Cable's planned internet access rate increase for Greensboro was a matter of poorly handled public relations. It was far more than that, but Ryan focused on the superficial while ignoring the specifics.

Perhaps it is to be expected that a PR guy would see contentious issues as matters of perception. His blog is replete with posts where he asks people what they think of an issue, but where he declines to offer his view. (Ryan recently asked at his blog "Does Public Perception of the Council Matter?") But there is something condescending about that attitude. It suggests that voters are children; that we only need to be properly manipulated to be placated; that real concerns are not things to be addressed through the hard work of advocacy or negotiation, but are merely to be corralled with a well managed public image.

Elected officials have to make tough choices. They have to exercise judgment. One cannot do that by thinking that it's all a matter of perception. Still, candidates can and do win local races running on slogans and style instead of substance. Ryan has six months to show us what he offers. He is in my "maybe" column as of now because of his willingness to communicate in public, he'll be hard to endorse if he doesn't grow a little backbone.

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roch, I can always count on you being tough! Per the discussions you mentioned... I was taking part in the conversation from a different perspective than most.

    I should also note that my Time Warner conversation was on my personal site, which has a public relations and marketing focus.

    In referencing GreensboroPolitics.com, you should make it clear to your readers that the site is not about MY opinion. It never has been, and never will be. That is an important fact.

    In regards to your last paragraph, I'm now in the place to throw out opinion if asked. I should make it clear that my opinion will not be given on GreensboroPolitics.com - it's not a campaign Web site.

    Oh, and by the way, my life changed a lot between 2004 and 2007. I applaud anyone that decides to take an interest in local politics, no matter what that reason may be.

    Thanks for putting your thoughts out there.

    Ryan

    PS - deleted the original post bc I made it from my phone and had one of those all to familiar iPhone spelling errors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ryan, I am not sure why you are now in a position to offer your opinion and were not previously -- nothing was stopping you other than your own reluctance. Still, I look forward to learning more about your opinions and positions, in whatever forum. It would be of interest, for example, to learn what, if anything, you as a city council person would have the city do in response to TWC internet rate plans.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Roch - at the time, I was representing GreensboroPolitics.com and was trying to hold some middle ground. If we disagree here that’s perfectly fine.

    In regards to Time Warner, I'd have instantly tried to figure out what the city could do to work with Time Warner on the issue, or to enable new companies to offer services in our area. If things were completely out of our hands I'd then have figured out how high up the elected official chain I had to go until I found someone that could help. I for one think the new billing concept is a terrible idea, much less doing it during a time when so many people are facing economic hardship. Not cool.

    As a citizen, I called and emailed plenty of folks and reached a dead end with Time Warner’s folks in New York.

    While it’s great that they pulled back on this at the moment, I only fear that they are just regrouping and will bring this up at a later date. Additionally, I wouldn’t be surprised if they pick new test markets in an attempt to stay under the radar.

    Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have a problem with someone sitting back and mulling things over. In fact, it would be nice if, for a change, a politician would gather information and facts BEFORE stating an opinion. Granted, that may slow things down a bit, but for me, it's preferable to some of the knee-jerk reactions we get.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, JW. I've long longed for some deeper thinking among our local elected officials. The problem is that sometimes avoidance can look like "mulling" -- the difference is known when and if an opinion is finally offered -- or not.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...