Wednesday, April 08, 2009

When do we get that logic Charles Davenport says should guide discussion of gay marriage?

Reflecting on Vermont's new law that allows gay people equal rights to civil marriages, The News & Record's Doug Clark says the next step is sisters being allowed to marry. He doesn't explain why defining marriage as only between a man and a woman hasn't opened the door to sisters marrying their brothers, however.

The News & Record's Charles Davenport said we shouldn't call people homophobes when they oppose equal civil marriage rights for gays, but should instead argue on logic and evidence. Sounds good to me. I also think that, absent logic and evidence, it is safe to use the word homophobe.

2 comments:

  1. The News & Record's Charles Davenport said we shouldn't call people homophobes when they oppose equal civil marriage rights for gays, but should instead argue on logic and evidence. Sounds good to me. I also think that, absent logic and evidence, it is safe to use the word homophobe.

    Can't say I've ever met a gay that has caused me any fear, but I have seen several that have disgusted me. Hmmmm sisters marrying sisters, where'as the limit, boys from W. VA. marrying sheep! Beau

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beau, thank you again for your use of quotation marks, it really helps make your comments comprehensible.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...