"I do know that there are providers of other services to us that could also provide cable service and internet service. So, personally, I am going to be talking to a couple of those businesses to see if they are in a place now to do it in this particular area (and) what it would take."
Wednesday, April 08, 2009
Mayor to take personal initiative to recruit local cable competition
Kudos to Greensboro's mayor Yvonne Johnson. She is understanding the problem with Time Warner Cable's plan to use Greensboro as an experiment for how it charges for internet access. As reported below by WFMY, Johnson says:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
roch,
ReplyDeleteyou might want to check out who your paid state lobbyist works for as well as the city of greensboro
Greensboro's paid lobbyist also works for the North Carolina Cable Telecommunications Association of which Time Warner Cable is a member.
ReplyDeleteSomething to keep an eye on should this somehow move into the realm of the state legislature, but I cannot see how it has an relevance to the mayor's intentions.
do you think time warner wants any competition and who do you think is working at state level to make sure that doesn't happen
ReplyDeleteI am sure Time Warner would prefer a local monopoly precisely so they can pull these kinds of stunts. The work at the state level is already done, however, any kind of franchise control having been eliminated with 2006 legislation.
ReplyDeleteIt is hard to imagine what more they could do, but that's why I said that we should keep our eyes open (I neglected to say the deserved "thank you" for bringing it to our attention). If it should come to pass somehow that the mayor and the city's lobbyist were working at cross purposes, then it would certainly be time to fire the lobbyist.
you are correct on keeping both eyes open on the $125 an hour lobbyist cam cover
ReplyDelete