Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Yikes!

In case you aren't panicked enough about Time Warner Cable's planned experiment for Greensboro:



(Hat tip: Erik Huey, where he also notes that a Congressman representing another Guinea Pig market, Rochester, NY, may try to stop this at the federal level.)

3 comments:

  1. Mr. Smith,

    Here is a link for you to check over and maybe break it down and explain it to us.

    http://a.longreply.com/109511

    It is a press release from the COO of TWC explaining how the previous press release was a little premature.

    Thank you for all the work that you are doing.

    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for bringing that to our attention, Bruce. Rather than dig into the details, which would essentially involve rehashing the arguments already made here and elsewhere why TWC's approach is wrong for consumers -- even despite their tweaking -- I am more interested in moving towards what will be ultimately best for consumers in Greensboro. That is competition.

    If TWC thinks that the only way they can maintain their infrastructure is to implement access caps and extraordinary increases in rates, let them proceed. My hope is that we are able to encourage a competitor who has proven their ability to deliver a faster and cheaper unlimited service, like Verizon's FOIS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that Verizon would be the choice to have here, but I am afraid that with AT&T's hold on Greensboro, Verizon won't come. Currently Verizon is only releasing FIOS in markets they have a foothold in.

    If that truly is the case we should push AT&T's U-Verse to come to Greensboro. They offer both Internet and Cable TV to the same price or cheaper then TWC. If I were a betting man I would say they have the best chance to offer direct competition to TWC. Though personally I would prefer Verizon, but I would be happy to see any sort of choice in Greensboro.

    The response by the COO completely dumbfounds me. They want to offer higher speeds (50/5 MBps) which I am all for. Yet to me it looks like they want you to reach whatever cap you are on faster. Sometimes somethings make no sense, no matter how much you break it down. Thank you for all your work.

    Bruce

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...