Sunday, April 05, 2009

Charles Davenport's recent windbaggery

Today's (Greensboro, NC) News & Record has an opinion column by Charles Davenport in which he wags a finger at "liberals" (he names two) who have the audacity to name hate and prejudice when they see it (not online). He writes:
"It is much easier, of course, to demonize one's opponents, to simply brand him as a racist or bigot, than it is to advance an argument based on logic and evidence."
In November of 2008, Davenport wrote a N&R column in which he celebrated California voters' rejection of gay marriage through the passage of Proposition 8. Similar to today's column, Davenport used his ink to insist that an objection to gay marriage is not hate and that popular sentiment should trump equal rights. But the column lacked any "argument based on logic and evidence" against gay marriage.

So I emailed Mr. Davenport:

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Just curious
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 12:03:37 -0500
From: Roch Smith Jr
To: daisha99@msn.com


Hi Charles,

Just read your most recent column. I'm left with one question. Why do you oppose gay marriage?

Yours,
Roch
I got no reply.

You know what is easy, Mr. Davenport? Easy is skipping the logical arguments, pretending they've been made and jumping to attacking people who find bigotry in your views precisely because you assert them in the absence of logical reasons. Easy is saying we should listen to your arguments even as you remain silent when people ask what your arguments are.

The problem for Davenport is that the "arguments" against gay marriage don't stand up as logical.

- "I believe marriage should be between one man and one woman," doesn't offer logic or evidence. It is a statement of belief, one that doesn't justify the usual accompanying objection to civil unions, but it is, nonetheless, an opinion without logic or evidence and against which there really is no argument.

- "I think we should be defending traditional marriage." Sure, have at it. Make it harder for people to get divorced or harder to get married in the first place if that is truly your objective, but unless and until you can convince us that people will start getting married to people of the same sex instead of people of the opposite sex if gay marriage is allowed, this is just irrelevant nonsense.

- "Next thing you know, 'they' will want to marry children." Again, not a reasoned argument or evidence, but nonetheless: Unlike marriage between two consenting adults, this involves exploitation of a victim. The slippery slope fear ignores the all-too-evident fact that we, as a society, do not descend into anarchy simply because we extend rights equally to our adult population. Raising the speed limit to 65 did not result in people just going as fast as they please. Extending to gay people the same rights currently available to straight people is the only issue in question. The red herrings are fear mongering.

- "Marriage is for the procreation of children." We already reject that in allowing people beyond child-bearing age and people who cannot or will not have children, for whatever reason, get married.

- "Gay people can already procure the same rights as married people through various civil contracts." That is simply untrue. A monumental effort may allow a gay couple to mirror some of the rights and obligations marriage confers upon a couple, but not entirely and not without great expense and time -- not equal.

Hate is hard to know. It is one of those things that lives in the heart and mind, concealable if that is one's intention. Bigotry and prejudice however can be judged by external words and deeds. When people object to extending to gay people the equal rights and benefits that come with marriage and pretend that there are logical reasons when there are not, that is the kind of evidence that can properly justify words like bigot, prejudiced and homophobe.

6 comments:

  1. Just read your most recent column. I'm left with one question. Why do you oppose gay marriage?

    I oppose gay marriage because it imposes itself into a long standing tradition including religious significance. Benefits in partnership are now availabe so why is it so damn important for same sex people to call themselves married other than to be a selfish imposition. Beau

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beau,

    No state recognition of gay marriage would impose itself on any religion. And you seem to have glossed over my factually grounded observation that the benefits accrued to married people are IN FACT NOT available to gay couples. You are welcome to try again to provide the logical reasons and evidence Davenport wants to discuss, but what you have offered are misunderstandings (no effect on religions) and wrong (benefits not equally available to gay couples).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roch
    I believe your are wrong, I believe in some states partnership benefits are constitutional. And therefore why don't homosexuals persue thier arguement on this presidence, rather impose on a 5,000 year old tradition. My comment is in response to your comment and not any comment by Mr Davenport whom I probably wouldn't know if I had stepped on him. No disrespect intended. Beau

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not following you Beau. Are you saying you do not object to civil unions? Are you saying it should be up to churches to decide who they are going to marry?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don’t recall ever receiving an e-mail from Roch, but I will take his word for it. Although I receive a significant volume of mail, I make an effort to respond to every correspondent, especially those with whom I disagree. I do not, however, waste time answering sophomoric, juvenile, ad hominem attacks, which is Roch’s field of expertise. He does not counter my arguments; he prefers tossing around the usual debate-ending terms--“racist,” “homophobe,” “bigot,” etc. But I am honored by his spastic name-calling, which I consider a concession of intellectual defeat. When Roch disagrees with a column, he throws a temper tantrum, like a petulant 2-year-old. I do not expend ammunition responding to every schoolyard taunt from pompous, venom-spewing bloggers.

    Roch, you have called me a “cowardly bigot,” but I welcome the opportunity to go head-to-head, on any topic, in writing, with anyone worthy of my time. If you are so eager to engage, I propose that we write a pro-con, on the subject of your choosing--gay marriage and diversity hiring really seem to get under your skin--for a neutral publication. I’m looking forward to hearing from you.

    Charles Davenport Jr.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Charles,

    Welcome to the party. I am not sure what you have in mind for a neutral publication. Perhaps something freely accessible to the public at large to which you and I can publish without editorial interference, maybe with some facility for us and readers to engage in an on-going back and forth discussion of the subject at hand.

    Hey! How about this Internet thingy?

    You are welcome to comment at your pleasure on anything I've written here. (To avoid spam, after 60 days, comments are disabled so let me know if you find an older post on which you'd like to comment and I'll start a new thread. You can email me at sysop@wirecom.com -- I read and reply.)

    For example, I observed that, despite your protestations that we should confine our discussions to the facts, you have a habit of making assertions unsupported by facts. You can refute or comment on that right now.

    You might also start responding to comments on your N&R columns (where of the last ten, you have joined in the comment threads a total of zero times). Maybe you might even start a blog of your own. One of your first posts might be to answer the simple question I have yet to see you answer: Why do you oppose gay marriage?

    I remain open to other venues for conducting a discussion, but this and other local blogs, the comment threads on your articles and the possibility of starting your own blog offer convenient and immediate opportunities that need no further delay, negotiation or complication.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...