If you are a morning talk radio personality on a show renowned for lively topical discussion, what do you do when one of the biggest local current issues puts one of your biggest advertisers in a negative light? If you are 101.1 WZTK's Britt Whitmire you demur to the advertiser and
earn the ire of your listeners.
Dunno about that, Roch. How might Howard Coble have reacted if you blogged about heartily disagreeing with one of his stands? Or called him a "greedy" whatever if you disagreed with him? Think you would have kept his business?
ReplyDeleteIt's a very tough call for a sponsor-ee to criticize a sponsor.
I agree in advance that you are not a radio personality doing a call-in show about hot local topics and maybe that's a little different than being a web designer for Howard Coble. But I believe there are similarities, already outlined by Ged (in the post you linked to above and btw, I'm very glad Ged is posting more and more; his is a valuable voice).
I wouldn't say I'm "ired" so much as disappointed Roch. I completely understand the need to support one's livelihood in today's world, but I also think there is something to be said for this so-called era of "responsibility" the President spoke of.
ReplyDeleteIf Time Warner wants to squash economic development in the Triad, raise all our internet rates by factors of 10, in Rochester NY, Texas and other places, they are going to have a huge fight on their hands. I won't go quietly and we need all the help we can get. Like it or not, Brad & Britt are forces for change in this area and their self-imposed silence is upsetting. They could be raising awareness of this issue like the News & Record, WXII and bloggers are doing, but since their station collects paychecks from Time Warner, they appear to be ham strung.
I wonder if Time Warner advertises on Murphy In The Morning...
You "don't know" about what, Sue?
ReplyDeleteSpeaking of the Coble website, how the heck did you design that "fold down the corner with endorsements" thingy? I've never seen anything like that before.
ReplyDeleteIt's a work of art.
Thanks, Tony. I've seen them around before and if you look around, you can find them as free bits of code. Try googling "peeling corner web page."
ReplyDelete