I saw The Rhino Times publisher Willy Hammer in the parking lot of the Harris Teeter yesterday. As we nodded in agreement with each others' complaints about this City's shortcomings, I said, "You know Willy, I think sometimes that things are not going to really finally change until some people die off."
Harsh? Probably. But let's face it, for all the goodwill and progress made in Greensboro in my thirty years here, some people are stuck on fighting battles they have already won and they, unfortunately, still hold great influence over public discourse and policy.
I'll be the first to admit that vestiges of racism remain in Greensboro. There is still work to do, no doubt. That some people think it's funny to joke about cross burnings, for example, is a repugnant reminder that bigotry remains with us, bigotry that legions of enlightened people stand ready to repudiate.
But when those same enlightened people, compatriots in the defense of equality, are not buying your cries of racism, then maybe it's not racism. And when it is revealed that what you argue is racism is really just a threat to your financial interests, well, shame on you. Shame on you for defiling the serious struggles of those who fought real racism; shame on you for squandering the goodwill accrued over decades for your personal benefit; shame on you for depreciating the abomination of real racism for the sake you your twisted folly.
Great post. I still don't understand AttyGen Eric Holder's claim that this nation is not ready or able to talk about race in an open manner.
ReplyDeleteWhen you have folks like Hayes and Alston in power it makes discourse impossible. They have their own agenda that has nothing to do with moving Greensboro forward in terms of race relations.
I know there has been talk about the blogosphere being comprised of mostly white folks and we can all point out the shortcomings of politicians and such, but I don't see things changing unless members of Greensboro's black community stand up to these bullies and expose them as phonys. It is just as important for white folks to do the same to their own.
--Brandon Burgess
Roch101:
ReplyDeleteI personally am offended at your "die off" comment. I will leave it at that. I feel that any further comment would not be productive to this site an would cross being disrespectful, something that I am not. I just encourage you, as a blogger, to choose your words more closely. You may not like Skip's politics. Understandable. You may not even like him as a person, fine. But, come on.
Skip's Son,
DeSean Alston
Phonies, Brandon?
ReplyDeleteSince I was 7 my dad has been invloved with the NAACP, unpaid position. He has taken a child in his home because their parents were abusive. He mentors young kids. His Alston Foundation has provided food to needy families. I resent that you label him as a phony. Be specific. Dont just throw character darts at someone.
And he allowed black children to live in blight in apartments under his care (see Saint James) -- so like any of us, good and bad.
ReplyDeleteI appreciate your comments, DeSean. To be clear, I am not wishing for the demise of any particular individual. I am trying to say--and if I did so clumsily, I apologize--that the kind of change many of us so badly want to see come to fruition in Greensboro is going to require generational change.
For your dad in particular, it is not that I don't like his politics -- we often agree on policy. It is his contempt and concealment that I think diminishes him.
DeSean, Skip is attempting bully voters into not asking questions. Typical NC politician. Phony.
ReplyDeleteIt's nothing personal so don't bring your dad's personal business into the discussion. He is an elected official and he answers to the voters just like every other politician. He gets no special treatment. Same goes for Deena Hayes.
I am very disappointed. I had become somewhat of a fan of Skips and the work he has done over the last year with the County.
--Brandon Burgess
I will bring whatever business I feel when there is a post that insinuates that the city will not move forward until he dies off.
ReplyDeleteThat comment is what touched the nerve with me. Roch responded to the comment and I appreciate the response, though he said he wasn't referring to individuals, he clearly stated in quotation marks at the top of the post ..."until some people die off."
I can see how those words trouble you, DeSean. Again, I apologize for writing my thoughts that way. I could have said it better and, in fact, in the conversation I had with Willy, I actually did say it differently, with caveats and qualifiers that blunted possible personalized interpretations.
ReplyDeleteIf the meaning of my remarks go unconsidered because of my phrasing, that's a consequence I'll keep in mind in the future. However, there is a thoughtful observation here about exploiting racism for personal gain that hopefully will also get noticed.
I am open minded and intelligent enough to take away what you meant to say, though I disagree with many parts of today's post. In regards to racism, I am of a different [younger] generation, so my definition of racism and how I view race differs from my father's. If you have been watching Skip politically, you would see growth in that regard actually; Post Obama perhaps.
ReplyDeleteI guess you think if you list all the nice things Skipper has done, that it makes up for treating your constituents like dirt. Sorry, but it does not.
ReplyDeleteAgain, Skip is an elected official and he is obligated to be as open as possible.
DeSean, would you please email me a way to contact you at curator@greensboro101.com
ReplyDeleteOk, Brandon:
ReplyDeleteI simply wanted to list just a few positive things about Skip because I rarely see them printed or posted anywhere.
I agree that elected officials have an obligation to be open and transparent in conducting business and with their constituents.
But democracy is not dead. Politicians are only as powerful as their constituents allow them to be.
You may not agree with the role he is playing currently, but it is an active one. We have SEVERAL local politicians that simply ride the waive and don't DO anything.
Skip has made TOUGH decisions and he has been the leader and the face of those changes. So of course, critcism is expected.
DeSean, I got to know your father a bit when I worked as an account rep for WQMG/WEAL. He did some advertising with the stations for Skip's Dog House. The station did a couple of live remote broadcasts there, one of which was a hot-dog eating contest.
ReplyDeleteThat was a fun day. Lots of folks came by and your dad made everyone feel like part of his family.
During my business dealings with Skip, he always treated me in a very cordial, professional way, and he paid his bill on time.
I know I'm not telling you anything you don't already know. I just want you to know that it's not all politics, and that your dad was a stand-up guy when we worked together.
And Skipper's Hot Dogs? Still the best dog in Greensboro.