Monday, January 18, 2010

Around Downtown in 80 Minutes: Broken rules

This sounds like fun. Somebody didn't think through the rules though.

Promotions for the contest say the winners of this scavenger hunt-like race will be "The first 3 teams back to Triad Stage with the most points." Consider the following in order of their finish and points earned:
  • 1st back: 1 point, 2 minutes
  • 2nd back: 4 points, 5 minutes
  • 3rd back: 2 points, 10 minutes
  • 4th back: 190 points, 20 minutes
  • 5th back: 2,000 points, 40 minutes
  • 6th back: 480,000,000 points, 80 minutes
Who are the three winners? Well, the first 3 teams back with the most points are the teams with 1, 4 and 2 points respectively. The other teams, even though they have more points cannot win because they are not, per the rules, among the first three teams back.

So any team that goes out and gets at least one point and manages to be among the first 3 teams to returns wins! I'm doubt that was the organizers' intentions. Like I said, not well thought out.

Even more confusing is the fine print in the detailed "rules and regulations." It says, "The team to return to the Triad Stage lobby before 8:20 pm with the best time and most points will be named the winner." Good luck determining that in a fair way without further clarification. To see what I mean, look at the top six finishers above again. Which one has the "best time and most points?" Like I said, not well thought out.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the measured critique, Roch.

    Does the refined description better clarify the process of determining the winners?

    http://www.triadstage.org/about/80Minutes.php

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting, Steven.

    I think I understand what you are trying to say, but I think your "rules" are contrary to your intentions.

    Specifically, it appears as if what you are trying to explain is at odds with your still-standing, "First three teams back with the most points." It's the "first three back" that is going to be problematic.

    Try this on for size; see if it doesn't reflect your intentions:

    "Winners will be the teams that get the most points, with ties going to the teams with the best time."

    Isn't that really what you are wanting to do, rather than anything having to do with the "first three back?" The first three back is just in the way. For example, you could, if I understand your updated explanation, actually end up awarding your prizes to the "last three back," as long as they have the three highest point totals, right?

    So I'd dump "first three back" and "best time and most points" as they are contradictory to your intentions and I would consider describing points as the primary measure with time as the tie breaker.*

    Hope that helps.

    [*Unless you wanted to reward both time and points more equally, then you'd want something like a "score" calculated by dividing points by minutes, with the three highest scores winning.]

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...