Monday, January 11, 2010

No blogging for Mayor Knight

After his election, I sent the following to Greensboro Mayor Bill Knight:
"You were a great blogger before you entered politics -- interesting, poignant, dignified and informative. Why not start again?"
A few days ago, Mayor Knight sent this reply:
"After discussion with the League, city attorney, and others I've decided not to blog as the potential for problems is magnified."

11 comments:

  1. In another blow for openness and communication, Mayor Knight has decided to move public comments to the end of City Council meetings ( http://www.news-record.com/content/2010/01/10/article/inside_scoop_talk_to_the_city_council_you_ll_have_to_wait_awhile ).

    Candidate Knight: "I expect city government to place citizen interests first and foremost in all matters."

    Mayor Knight: Citizens can speak last.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll admit to mixed feelings about the move of the speakers from the floor time. I have found it inconvenient to try to get down there before dinner but, on the other hand, when meetings go to 11:00, that will be harder. Since one of Mayor knight's objective is to try to make the meetings shorter, I am taking a wait-and-see view of the change. If council ends up getting to speakers between 7 and 9, I'd say that's probably decent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admit that I don't know what "potential for problems is magnified" means. What problems?

    The mayor spends much of his time speaking to groups and answering questions. Is putting his thoughts out there and responding in writing that much different?

    Perhaps you can ask him to elaborate?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good questions, John. I'll drop the Mayor an email and see if he will respond here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah just imagine if the mayor had commented on the article where his supporters were described as racists.

    He would've had to spend hours rebutting knuckleheads, just defending himself. As usual with blogs, nothing would get accomplished. Just a sparring match.

    --Brandon Burgess

    ReplyDelete
  6. JR: "I admit that I don't know what "potential for problems is magnified" means."
    Ask Sandy Carmany.
    Of course, in her case, it was WHAT she said that was troubling.
    By the way, does anybody know what she knows yet?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dave, you've got to be kidding, right?
    Don't you think it's more important to the majority of residents to take care of city business first. I think it's a great idea.
    You're reaching my friend, just reaching.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tony,

    I disagree. I think part of the business of City Council IS to hear from the citizens and to put the open time for speakers at the end of the meeting looks like a way to try and make it difficult for speakers to appear.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Accepting speakers at the beginning makes it difficult to proceed with city business in a timely manner.

    The council can give it's full attention to speakers from the floor knowing that they don't have an entire agenda to see through before the evening is over.

    --Brandon Burgess

    ReplyDelete
  10. Putting comments at the beginning gives the public an opportunity to weigh in on an issue before it's decided later in the meeting.

    It also affords a citizen the opportunity to promote discussion of an agenda item that might not otherwise get a review.

    ReplyDelete
  11. There is a period for public comment for agenda items where the public may comment before an issue is decided. Moving the time for speakers from the floor does not change that. Speakers from the floor is a time for the public to comment on items not on the agenda--items that are not being decided on.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...