Sunday, January 24, 2010

Pissing in his own soup

So County Commissioner Chair Skip "I don't have to tell you" Alston, who stands to possibly earn three quarters of a million dollars from his involvement in a project for which the body he chairs is allocating funds, thinks it would be a good idea for the opening of the International Civil Rights Museum to be marred with a march in support of government secrecy, an effort that would serve to conceal the extent and nature of his self-enriching involvement in the publicly assisted hotel project.

That's intelligent.*

As David Hoggard writes:
"Quaintance and Weaver’s inquiry, as with all of the other inquiring that has been going on for weeks, has nothing to do with race, but everything to do with governmental accountability, project viability and fairness to the privately owned entrepreneurial  entities that could very well lose a lot of business if this thing goes off as planned."
[* Not]

7 comments:

  1. Another Big Shakedown begins!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no information about the final cost of the Civil Rights museum. But over time, significant sums have been granted to the project by several different sources. I suspect that a newly constructed duplicate of the building could have been built for far less money. Did anyone line their pockets on the museum project?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really wish people would stop making comments without knowledge or facts. Your "Suspicion" is baseless and unfounded, you stated so in your first sentence. Being a historical site, the HVAC system among other things had to be TOP NOTCH and were EXTREMELY expensive. Water leaks and damage in the basement. These and many more forseen and unforseen construction related issues rose the cost and also delayed previous openings. Why can't we just move forward, it's opening Feb 1. Why do we have to go through this blame game. It's not productive. It's a beautiful museum and a wonderful addition to downtown.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Roch:

    Skip did not organize the potential march. Please make sure as a blogger you state facts, and if it is your opinion, state that so the readers can differentiate the two.

    I have also read the News and Record comments. Skip has not said the recent opposition is race related.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your comments, Sean. I did not say that Skip was organizing the march. He was, as reported by the N&R, holding the threat of it over the heads of those making the public information request.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I doubt that anyone "lined" their pockets; however, they did employ a lot of people early in the process. They toured and visited a lot of similar sites around the country, traveling on contributions - traveling more than likely first class.

    It was years before they realized the construction issues that needed to be addressed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is not the Museum subject to filling taxes, and or audit, and would that information be public information. Then lets see where the money went, I'll bet somebody got greased. Beau

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...