Monday, January 18, 2010

News & Record editor on blogs: "There’s some amount of reporting that they do but not a whole lot on the things we care about."

UNC Journalism masters candidate Michelle Cerulli sent me her case study on media in Greensboro today. She had interviewed me for it last December. She also talked to Ed Cone, Lex Alexander, local media "consumers" and the (Greensboro, NC) News & Record's editor John Robinson.

Without delving into much statistical or empirical data, Cerulli still puts together a well-rounded picture of the local media scene by letting the people involved speak for themselves. It is not going to be eye-opening to people who are already engaged with local media, professionally or as bloggers, but it is an interesting look at the forest that we don't always see for our focus on the trees.

As part of her study, Cerulli takes a look at the roles various local media fill. She quotes Robinson as saying this about blogs:
“There’s some amount of reporting that they do but not a whole lot on the things we care about..."
"Some" and "a whole lot" are open to interpretation, so is "care about" too, I suppose, but I found it rather ironic that I was reading that on the same day that Ed Cone was  writing this on his blog:
"I understand that it's Monday of a long weekend, and that the N&R's Sunday staffing makes a skeleton crew look bloated, but even so I was surprised to find not a single word in the paper or online about the confusion within the Melvin building over what exactly the City Council has or has not approved in terms of a bond issue for a new downtown hotel."
In the News & Record's absence, Ed provides his original blog-only reporting on the issue.

6 comments:

  1. JR's defending his broken model from the crow's nest as she sinks below the water.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If Michelle Cerulli plans to be an "investigative journalist" her career is off to a bad start.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mike,

    The story wasn't intended to be a hard-hitting investigative piece, but rather a look at a unique city with a diverse and dynamic news culture from the perspectives of players in traditional media, alternative media, and news consumers.

    Best,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Roch Smirh
    Ed Cone
    Lex Alexander
    John Robinson

    That's about as one-sided as an MSNBC panel.
    Michelle, you're off to a great start by practicing what mainstream journalists practice...the pursuit of a liberal agenda masquerading as "journalism."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I created a web site where anybody can have a presence and their stories receive equal exposure. Jaycee sees that as pursuing a "liberal agenda." Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For that matter, read her story and point out where I made any kind of political point, whether partisan or issue-related. Go on. I'll wait.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...