Yes! Weekly's Jordan Green synopsizes city council campaign money, including:
"George Hartzman"Voice broadcast?" William Money does phone calls for political campaigns.
Major expenditures: ...Bill Money, West Palm Beach, Fla. for 'voice broadcast', $873"
We do not need a representative on city council who thinks it is cool to be obtuse. We do not need someone who thinks it is clever to obfuscate. One of the most important roles of a city council representative is to bring forth information with clarity. District 3 candidate The Committee to Elect George Hartzman (as he refers to himself in a proud salute to obfuscation) would do the opposite. He has a fondness for ambiguity that would be maddening in an elected representative.
"He has a fondness for ambiguity that would be maddening in an elected representative."
ReplyDelete--I've noticed something. Now, I understand that for a challenger, an effective tactic is to criticize the incumbent. But it seems that with this year's local election, there have been quite a few candidates who have taken the tactic to a level where all you hear is complaining and it makes me wonder if some of these challengers would be any different and even less prfessional than the current council.
I'm talking about Nixon, Hartzman, Shell, Cornell, and Vaughan. All of these candidates seem to know the right things to say to get people nodding their heads; but then what?
--Brandon Burgess
I am not prepared to allow the quality of the opposition to diminish my opposition of the incumbent.
ReplyDeleteBut if you plan to vote, you have to choose one.
ReplyDeleteI'd rather be faced with having to debate an intelligible man on the facts than having to try to plead with a man to communicate intelligibly.
You can fight for the ball with the former. The later will not take the field.
What bothers me is that we may end up with a council with even more folks who don't know what is going on or how to listen. We need a diversity of opinion on the council and to many incumbents and challengers are so gung ho about non-sense such as police conspiracies and reopening the landfill for $500 million alchemical experiments, that it makes me wonder if their strings are being pulled and who may be pulling.
ReplyDelete--Brandon Burgess
^^Here I am mainly referencing Johnson, Shell, Nixon,and Kee but this attitude was prolific throughout the primaries. I sometimes get the feeling that Bill Knight also doesn't have a clue. Yes Weekly supports Johnson because have hopes that she will get better at being the mayor.
ReplyDeleteFec, I feel the same way about the mayoral race. I do not like what Johnson has done to/for Greensboro, but I'm not sure Knight can do much better. I would've loved to see Thompson run for mayor.
--Brandon Burgess
Mr. Burgess:
ReplyDeleteHow long have you resided and have been a registered voter in Guilford County? Have you involved yourself in community organizations, and/or been appointed to any city and county board or commissions?
You make some good points. Some of these candidates "had" and/or "have" good intentions. But like you stated, "then what?"
Georgie Porgie, just didn't look good on Glimpses of Greensboro. Especially when he comnpared our city with Los Angeles? And their budget, with out budget? And he's an economist? He needs to get his macroeconomics into play. He was waaaaaaay out in some field. Not here, though.
I hate it when candidates talk about ethics, and then they forget about that, and do it, under the guise of "I didn't know", or "No comment."
I can already vision the new? council. We have our work cut out for us. I wish Perkins looses this time around. Such an elistis snob! And, even though I voted for her, VAUGHAN, and the despictbale Housewives of Irvin Park.
Well, that's all I got say. For now.
Perkins, Vaughan and Methany's elections are in the bag. My strategy is to keep the heat on them and score points when we catch them screwing up. GCC can buy elections, but can they govern?
ReplyDeleteBrandon,
ReplyDeleteI should point out that I've taken action on many items and have not just talked.
Ryan
You are correct Ryan and I supported you until I saw the way you reacted to the landfill issue, the library filter issue and the greenway issue.
ReplyDeleteLet it be understood though, I have no problem with how you handled the issues. You sensed a problem and addressed it. But it seems that you were so gung ho about the issues, that maybe you didn't stop to consider the bigger picture.
In my opinion, you, along with Ms. Abuzuaiter would serve as excellent representatives on the council when the city is strong, but right now, I feel like Greensboro is on life support and we need our next leaders, including the new city manager to take charge, know exactly what needs to be done and how to get there.
Our next council must not be to easily persuaded into making decisions based on instinct. Our next council should be comprised of representatives who are experienced, calculating, and stick to a decision once it is made because they know they made the right decision the first time; unlike so many decisions the current council has made. I feel that Thompson and maybe Knight can fulfill these requirements.
Again Ryan, if the atmosphere in Greensboro were more stable economically and socially, I would support you.
--Brandon Burgess
Ed, I've lived in northeast Greensboro all my life, 25 years. This is the first Greensboro election I've taken an interest in.
ReplyDeleteI am rounding out my first year in college and looking for work so that, along with the fact that I only recently have begun to familiarize myself with political issues faced by our city, state and nation makes me an unsuitable candidate for any position of leadership.
^^--Brandon Burgess
ReplyDelete