Whatever their method for getting letters to the editor online, the procedure at the (Greensboro, NC) News & Record appears to require some human effort. Occasionally, I'll see a stray letter pop up on Greensboro101 a few hours after the others have already been published online, which is usually around 3:00 AM or 4:00 AM.It is not unheard of to see an overlooked letter appear online later in the day.
Yesterday, a letter in support of mayoral candidate Bill Knight did not make it online with the others for the day. So Joe Guarino wrote about it, noting its absence from the web*. The letter did not subsequently appear.
Today, Tony Wilkins asks again why the letter is still not online. Good question.
[* Guarino has edited his post since its initial publication, subsequently removing his observation that the letter is not online.]
Roch, I am sure Robinson has a perfectly reasonable explanation. I can hear him now, "We work as hard as we can, but apparantly not hard enough for Roch.(chuckles):)".
ReplyDelete--Brandon Burgess
Allen Johnson is the editorial page editor.
ReplyDeleteAh, thanks; though, I don't doubt the influence Robinson has on what is printed or posted. Remember the time Ryan Seals removed A.J. Blake's quote about his dangerous colleagues? I doubt Seals came up with that on his own. Of course, it was for space reasons, so I'll stop ranting.
ReplyDelete--Brandon Burgess
Seals works for Robinson.
ReplyDeleteDifferent part of the organization.
Just to say it again, the opinion pages are run by Allen Johnson.
Who does Allen Johnson answer to? And thank you guys for making distinctions regarding this matter. It's so much easier to place blame on the big guy (Robinson).
ReplyDelete--Brandon Burgess
I've always thought Robinson and Johnson were equals, news editor and opinion editor. I'm not sure who has the better parking space, but I think they both answer to publisher Robin Saul.
ReplyDeleteStill, your general observation, Brandon, that both news and opinion have struggled with how and when to censor online content is well documented. The absence of this letter seems a little different though -- a matter about which there should be no dispute. It should have been posted -- still should be.
Rudy Binder responds to snub by N&R:
ReplyDeletehttp://www.busybeingbornblog.com/?p=391