Thursday, October 22, 2009

Sunshine Workshop -- Good things coming, I believe

I attended this afternoon's public records workshop offered by The City of Greensboro and the Sunshine Center -- the afternoon session oriented towards city employees*.

Short version: I think Greensboro may be on track to make some significant steps forward in responding to public records requests.

Not as short version:
  1. Nearly fifty city employees in attendance
  2. Exciting to see Charlotte's public terminal for accessing city employee email communications offered as an example of modernized public access. (Maybe not exciting enough to warrant my applause, I'm a geek that way.)
  3. Greensboro city attorney Becky Joe Petterson-Buie presented a candid and, to this layman, accurate explanation of what is and what is not public record.
  4. Assistant City Manager Denise Turner gave an update on the progress of her attempts to formalize records request response procedures for city employees. It is thoughtful and substantial. It needs a few tweaks which I expect will be suggested to her when she has her anticipated meeting with media and records-seekers before presenting the plan to Council on November 10th.
  5. Elon College professor and Assistant Director of the Sunshine Institute Dale Harrison gave an update on efforts in the state legislature regarding public records. He mentioned that Greensboro has already adopted a procedure proposed but not yet legislated into law -- that of recording the closed sessions of public bodies. This practice was adopted by Greensboro thanks to the approval by the current council of a motion made by City Councilor Zack Matheny.
  6. Greensboro has also implemented a system called PIRT, Public Information, Request Tracking. Developed "in house" by city employees, I have some experience with it, enough to know some kinks still remain but it is a super initiative and one that should serve Greensboro well when fully tuned.
Thanks to the Sunshine Institute and the City of Greensboro for doing this. It is going to produce better government.

* There is another workshop this evening, this one geared more towards the public. It is at 7:00 P.M. at the Greensboro Historical Museum. About 90 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...