Thursday, October 15, 2009

New garbage cans flawed

Our old garbage can went kaput several weeks ago. The city replaced it with one of the new variety. The new cans are flawed: The lids flop open when the truck puts them back down -- making for a nasty soup in the bottom on rainy days like today.


As you can see from this picture, the lid closes on the old style cans but on the same terrain, the lid on the new can stays open when it is returned to the curb. In addition to making the cans messier during rainy weather, I have to wonder if these new cans won't become breeding pools for mosquitoes in the summer. If there is a reason why these new cans are better, I'm not seeing it. They are inferior as far as I can tell.

7 comments:

  1. Flawed? Or cheaper? You want higher taxes? (sarcasm alert) Can't blame them from trying to save $$ on replacement cans. But perhaps the truck operator can do something when replacing the can to fix that. Perhaps operator rehab?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roch, they also seem to be slightly smaller and you have to put your hand in the garbage area of the lid to open it. The new ones are a flop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought it looked smaller too, Tony.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes about the lid and all ...but doesn't the Greensboro logo look rather spiffy?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, we have a great logo. As I recall, that logo was chosen as the winner of a design contest. I seem to remember that the prize was $500. The city has certainly got it's money's worth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If tht logo is the same logo from the logo contest I recall many years ago, it was created by Harry Blair, a superb cartoonist and great drinking buddy from many years past. Harry also designed the covers for several of the early books published by Down Home Press.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...