These maps (below) show the proposed extension of water and sewer lines to areas of the Piedmont Triad International Airport. (Download them if you want greater detail.)
I am certainly no expert, but from what I can tell, it appears as if these maps answer the question of whether these proposed lines would benefit private property owners. With the exception of passing by a few individual homes, it appears not -- that it is only going to be airport property that is served by these extensions. (And, for some reason, a third try at extending sewer to the new FedExHub that the city originally said would cost around $250,000).
This item was continued from Tuesday's City Council meeting. I am not sure why. Maybe councilors wanted a few more questions answered. Here are mine remaining.
- With any development served by these extensions being on airport property, the city will never reap any tax benefits from the properties, airport property being exempt from city taxes. Is this the best use of $4.5 million of the taxpayers' money? Maybe. Maybe not. A thoughtful consideration of costs vs. benefits including a careful consideration of opportunity costs is in order. Would $4.5 million spent elsewhere reap greater benefits if it meant development of taxable property instead of development of tax-free property?
- Is the cost in line? Were I on council, I would want to see documentation for every penny the city is asked to pay. With the Airport Authority as the middle-man, with Greensboro having no opportunity to control bidding or costs, we should have clear evidence that the costs are appropriate.
Greensboro Airport Sewer Extension Map (West)
Greensboro Airport Sewer Extension Map (East)
No comments:
Post a Comment