Actually... the 4G is a resell. Basically WiMax. It's actually a resell of Clear (Sprint/Clearwire merger which used to be Xohm - long story), whom they invest in heavily.
It's not Wifi. 4G is Wimax (802.16) which was created for wide area networks instead of WLANs like wifi.
Amusingly, I don't work in telecommunications anymore.
@Joe - it's not like the 3G access. It "is" the same access (meaning it's still cellular)... just different bands in use, and different technology. It's basically the same principle as comparing digital phone data (2G) versus EVDO (3G) vs. EDGE (3G - but different technology/band).
The reason why this isn't just plain WiMax and is slightly different is because Clear is using something that Motorola developed as far as allowing WiMax to be completely mobile. This means that you won't lose a signal while in a moving vehicle. This is different from fixed WiMax which exists today, but cannot handle continuous changing locations (you would have to pick up, move, then set down again).
Oops. My bad... wasn't clear here. Motorola didn't develop the technology completely. Depending on what vendor is providing the backend equipment, that vendor provides the technology.
However, Motorola does provide the Sprint markets for NC, which is why I know that they are the vendor here.
The price is more expensive because wireless spectrum isn't cheap. But in any case, wrote about all of this about a week ago or so.
I was hoping you might stop by, Darkmoon -- knowing you to be an expert in the field.
The idea of mobile access has some appeal to me, but not at the costs reported. However, if I could use it to carry my phone calls and can scrap my current Vonage and cell phone, that might justify the cost.
What do you think, would a Skype or Wi-fi phone work with this?
Not a wifi phone, but Skype should work fine. If I remember correctly, Skype works fine on 3G data services.
You'll have to wait some more before you can just run everything through cellular. Everything eventually will work through the data streams, but I wouldn't say that you could replace your landline with wireless.
Reasoning behind this is a very basic one. Spectrum is expensive and thus, maximizing potential of customer use would make it impossible to do business if you allowed unlimited wireless data and people used it like they do for land based networks. That's part of the reason that "unlimited" service is actually regulated at around 5G a month.
Oh yeah... one last thing. As far as I know, haven't seen a phone that actually does WiMax... and thus you can't tether. So far, all devices have been for computer side of things. I have a Nokia n810 wimax, but it doesn't do phone service.
Thanks for the comments, Darkmoon. If I understand correctly, Skype phone will work and the only limitation may be the 5G data transfer limit. I tried to calculate this once and I seem to remember figuring that 500 minutes of talk time over the internet equals about 1G. If that's right, a Skype phone on a 4G network might be able to replace my current home (Vonage) and cell phones.
Not sure I understand how this works.... Are they talking about "Cell" broadband?
ReplyDeleteIt's Internet access over what is essentially a radio wave spectrum. Receivers either in your computer or that hook up to your computer through a USB.
ReplyDeleteIt's LIKE the 3G Internet access you get through your cell phone, but not the same spectrum.
Actually... the 4G is a resell. Basically WiMax. It's actually a resell of Clear (Sprint/Clearwire merger which used to be Xohm - long story), whom they invest in heavily.
ReplyDeleteIt's not Wifi. 4G is Wimax (802.16) which was created for wide area networks instead of WLANs like wifi.
Amusingly, I don't work in telecommunications anymore.
@Joe - it's not like the 3G access. It "is" the same access (meaning it's still cellular)... just different bands in use, and different technology. It's basically the same principle as comparing digital phone data (2G) versus EVDO (3G) vs. EDGE (3G - but different technology/band).
The reason why this isn't just plain WiMax and is slightly different is because Clear is using something that Motorola developed as far as allowing WiMax to be completely mobile. This means that you won't lose a signal while in a moving vehicle. This is different from fixed WiMax which exists today, but cannot handle continuous changing locations (you would have to pick up, move, then set down again).
Oops. My bad... wasn't clear here. Motorola didn't develop the technology completely. Depending on what vendor is providing the backend equipment, that vendor provides the technology.
ReplyDeleteHowever, Motorola does provide the Sprint markets for NC, which is why I know that they are the vendor here.
The price is more expensive because wireless spectrum isn't cheap. But in any case, wrote about all of this about a week ago or so.
I was hoping you might stop by, Darkmoon -- knowing you to be an expert in the field.
ReplyDeleteThe idea of mobile access has some appeal to me, but not at the costs reported. However, if I could use it to carry my phone calls and can scrap my current Vonage and cell phone, that might justify the cost.
What do you think, would a Skype or Wi-fi phone work with this?
Not a wifi phone, but Skype should work fine. If I remember correctly, Skype works fine on 3G data services.
ReplyDeleteYou'll have to wait some more before you can just run everything through cellular. Everything eventually will work through the data streams, but I wouldn't say that you could replace your landline with wireless.
Reasoning behind this is a very basic one. Spectrum is expensive and thus, maximizing potential of customer use would make it impossible to do business if you allowed unlimited wireless data and people used it like they do for land based networks. That's part of the reason that "unlimited" service is actually regulated at around 5G a month.
Oh yeah... one last thing. As far as I know, haven't seen a phone that actually does WiMax... and thus you can't tether. So far, all devices have been for computer side of things. I have a Nokia n810 wimax, but it doesn't do phone service.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the comments, Darkmoon. If I understand correctly, Skype phone will work and the only limitation may be the 5G data transfer limit. I tried to calculate this once and I seem to remember figuring that 500 minutes of talk time over the internet equals about 1G. If that's right, a Skype phone on a 4G network might be able to replace my current home (Vonage) and cell phones.
ReplyDelete