GREENSBORO, NC - Last Saturday, staff at the Greensboro Farmers Curb Market asked mayoral candidate George Hartzman to stop talking with vendors about his plans for rejuvenating the War Memorial Stadium across the street. They deemed such discussion, because of the topic and Hartzman's status as a candidate, in violation of Parks & Recreation rules.
The city provided a copy of the rules to me within hours of asking. The rules cited a city ordinance that gives the rules legal authority when approved by city council.
I could not find a council meeting where the rules had been approved by city council.
So I asked the City if and when the Parks & Rec rules were approved. That was on Monday. Although the City could get me a copy of the rules within hours, a week was not enough time for them to answer whether council had approved them or not.
When it comes to requesting information from the City of Greensboro, I've developed an analysis that I call the Stonewall Correlation: The longer it takes the city to respond, the more embarrassing the answer.
" The longer it takes the city to respond, the more embarrassing the answer."
ReplyDeleteOr the more likely that it is an out and out lie made up by someone with the brains of a vegetable like say, collards.
The rules either forbid such activity, or they don't. It should not take eternity (or extensive consultation to pass the buck) to answer the question.
ReplyDeleteNot a lie, Billy. I received a copy of the rules that have a provision against "political speeches." The question is whether they were approved by council or not. Nobody has asserted that they were.
ReplyDelete