Greensboro, NC -- I've experienced it first hand. Many, many years ago, when I ran for mayor, the N&R wrote an article about the incumbent deciding to run for reelection. When I subsequently announced my candidacy at a meeting of the Northeast Neighborhood Association with the News & Record's political reporter in attendance, there was nothing—not a single word—written about my declaration in the News & Record.
Today, the song remains the same. Candidate for mayor George Hartzman is running into the same slanted B.S. in an editorial at the News & Record that mentions the two already well-known candidates for mayor and ignores the lesser known Hartzman.
It is my opinion that our city suffers greatly from a lack of attention to new blood. Just how much does the N&R contribute to that?
I will be conducting an ongoing word study of the News & Record's news and editorial coverage of the Greensboro city council and mayoral race where I will report, from time to time, the number of times each candidate receives mention by the News & Record.
Stay tuned for the first analysis.
No comments:
Post a Comment