Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Please ma'am, may I have some fact checking?

GREENSBORO, NC -- Were I an editor at the News & Record, I would announce: "New rule! No more reporting on people making assertions of fact without checking out the facts." (Previously).

Today the N&R "reports:"
By [Greensboro City Manager] Young's calculations, the bill for both services would come out to about $1.5 million -- so the two governments might as well call it a wash.
Local weekly The Rhino Times aligned Young's assertion with the facts (six weeks ago):
It's a great deal for Guilford County because according to the agreement on library funding reached years ago the county should be paying more than $2 million for the library, and for years the city has been paying $400,000 for the collection of property taxes.
One of these examples is reporting, one is stenography.

1 comment:

  1. "might as well" is the disclaimer.

    but I agree.

    I think by Amanda trying to be polite, your point became dead on.

    George Hartzman

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...