From the News & Record today:
Think about that: The boss of an event that could pump an estimated $30 million into Greensboro’s economy hauling blank paper in a Toyota 4Runner along Interstate 40/85.The event to which writer Jeff Mills is referring is the U.S. Figure Skating Championship. Where does the $30 million figure come from? Who knows? It's more of the substandard, amateurish, unsubstantiated bullshit that the News & Record accommodates. $30 million you say? Okee doke.
Just a week ago, the previous unattributed, unsourced and unverified estimation was a mere $23 million. Kudos to reporter Mills for adding another $7 million to the local economy with a couple of keystrokes. Well done. At this rate, we'll all be rich soon.
On an unrelated but icy note - the downtown ice rink broke even & made a profit. They will be back next year. They won't be asking the county for any services or bringing in $33 million (a few strokes of my key) but it seems to have brought a great many people downtown during an otherwise dead time.
ReplyDeleteThanks, skater. That's good news. Do I recall correctly that their intention was to try to sell it to the city after the first season?
ReplyDeleteHas anyone checked the accuracy and sources of skater's claim?
ReplyDeleteNot that I am aware of, but I haven't see it reported by anyone either.
ReplyDeleteThey will bring the ice back next year & probably a larger rink, based on feedback from the public wanting more space. No word on any type of sale to the city - I believe it is the same group who will do it again.
ReplyDeleteMr . Anonymous, you will be surprised what you can learn when you simply ask - instead of conjecturing on a blog : )
By teh way, my information came from a person who works for the company who brought & managed the rink - I asked him "How was it - did you turn a profit?" He said they did break even & began to make a profit - he is neither with the city nor a politician so I have no readon to believe he was not being truthful.
ReplyDeleteGeez is everyone here so suspicious?