Monday, January 03, 2011

On the News & Record reprinting blog content

UPDATE (01/04/11): News & Record editorial editor Allen Johsnons says he'll impliment these recommendations.

GREENSBORO, NC -- The News & Record has started a new feature on their editorial page called "Mixing it Up," in which they reprint content from area blogs. While I can see a mutual benefit to both the News & Record and the featured bloggers, I think bloggers are getting the short end of the stick without some improvements.

I have suggested the following to editorial page editor Allen Johnson:
  1. Include the url or "address" of the blog from which the content originates. Not only is it a professional courtesy, but failing to do so leaves a column about commentary from the Internet less than complete. 
  2. Indicate when content is edited. The last post of mine that appeared in Mixing it Up had significant portions removed from within. There was no notice, no ellipses, just an editor's invisible hand. That might be okay for a letter to the editor, it is not for what is represented as a reprint.
  3. Use TinyUrl. Since hyperlinks don't work in print, and long urls are cumbersome, the option is to either diminish the value for the print reader by excluding links altogether or including them as shortened versions from tinyurl.com. The latter is better.

5 comments:

  1. i had a back and forth with allen johnson on "mixing it up where" cause for over 6 or 7 weeks they never had a local blogger in the mix till you had the first, congrats but you are correct on above additions to the section of paper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roch.............will this be a "broad and fair mixing it up" or will Allen and the like with similar agenda tilt left. Beau

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd recommend against the tinyURL bit, citing work, especially within the web forum is best when the original content is cited, as the destination of a second level proxy can always be changed.

    If it must be done, Id recommend a legit, and properly forwarded url shortner such as Google's:

    http://goo.gl/

    But let's be honest here, the papers don't want to link because blogs are the competition. Rather than embrace the culture, they've chose to defy it in hopes it provides them a better financial hope. I get it, and I respect it... but I think... quite honestly, there's a lot of money lost on fear of competition rather than hiring individuals with a capability of fixing the situation.

    I'll now go back to my little hole.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tip, Liv. You comment is loaded with a lot of wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't like tinyURL links since you can't tell where you will be taken by mousing over the link.

    Comment spammers can use them to hide a link to a spam or porn site - or worse a malware site

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...