Although I spent many years living in and exploring southwestern North Carolina, mostly in the areas of Buncombe and Jackson counties, I hardly ventured much more westward than Highlands (and the serene Van Hook Glade Campground on the Cullasaja River).
This summer, however, Kathy and I decided to venture a little further west into Macon, Swain and Graham counties, homes of the Nantahala River, Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest, Lake Nantahala, Bryson City, Lake Santeetlah and the Cherohola Skyway.
We spent our first three nights camping at Standing Indian Campground. Surrounded by peaks from 4,700 to 5,000 feet at their highest, Standing Indian Campground straddles The Nantahala River and a tributary, Kimsey Creek, near the river's headwaters. Several paths in the campground offer easy access to swimming and fishing holes. Rainbow and brown trout are supposedly in the waters, although I came away empty-handed.
View Larger Map
(There is no address to plot on Google Maps, these are the GPS coordinates of the campground.)
Standing Indian is a large campground -- five loops, eighty-one sites -- owned by the National Forest Service (that's us) and operated by an independent contractor with the help of several on-site "hosts." Although large and accommodating plenty of RVs, we found the more remote sites of loop five to be secluded and private enough to give us the serenity we were looking for.
We chose site #78. Curtained from neighbors by dozens of yards of thick mountain laurel and shaded by towering poplars throughout the day, the site, like the other tent sites, has a groomed tent pad, concrete picnic table, fire pit and lantern pole -- and it drains well, as two nights of heavy rain proved. #78 backs up to Kimsey Creek. You can't see the creek from the site, but you can hear it at night. Our site was about one hundred yards from the bathhouse: one sink, one toilet and one shower with nice hot water each for men and women.
The campground store is not a fully stocked convenience store by any means, but it offers eggs, milk, candy, some basic camping supplies and firewood at $25 for a load. We had purchased a couple of small bundles of wood in Sylva, NC on the way and supplemented our supply with a few more from Loafer's Glory, the closest convenience store and gas station to the campground we found, about fifteen minutes away, as I recall. Seen here:
View Larger Map
Drive past the campground on the Forest Service road, the pavement ends and it turns to well groomed dirt, following the Nantahala upstream and leading to the "back country" area with turnoffs to fishing holes and access to primitive campsites, a horse camp and lots of trails -- many following mountain streams, some to waterfalls. There is an information board with maps and details at the beginning of the dirt road. We hiked the relatively easy Laurel Falls trail. It was about a twenty minute hike one-way with mild changes in elevation to Laurel Falls. The pool below the falls was inviting on a hot summer day, but I found the water too frigid for anything more than a quick knee-high wade -- it was, however, the only place I even got a nibble while fishing.
In addition to the numerous and varied trails in the back country area, just prior to reaching the campground there is access to the Appalachian Trail, which Kathy found especially delightful as she was reading Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail during our trip.



Did you have any problems with bears at Standing Indian?
ReplyDeleteHi Susan,
ReplyDeleteNope. There were warnings signs posted at the office and other campers told us they had seen some around, but we did not. We were pretty conscientious about keeping our food in containers in the car when not eating and we disposed of our trash after each meal in the bear-proof trash cans.
I love it there--so beautiful and cool in the summer! When we were there in 2008 or '09 we got invaded by bears, but the first night we weren't as careful as we should've been. Second night we put everything away but they came back anyway. We're going back there in about a month, so I was curious if they've dealt with the issue.
ReplyDeleteGreat blog by the way!
I think warning people to keep food secure is their way of dealing with it. You're in their territory, after all. Glad you enjoy the blog. Enjoy your trip.
ReplyDeleteThank you for the information, pictures, and map. I look forward to visiting Standing Indian very soon!
ReplyDeleteHi. Love the detailed information in your post. We are planning a camping trip to NC with 3 little boys who love to play in rivers. Are there tent sites at Standing Indian with good access to the creek?
ReplyDeleteYes. Click on the first link in the post, then click "facility map." Sites 001 - 016 and 044 - 053 are very close, but none are more than about a 5 minute walk.
ReplyDeleteYou might also enjoy tubing down the Tuckaseegee -- about 40 minutes away.
ReplyDeleteCorrection, here is the place I was referring to. I've not experienced the other in the previous comment.
ReplyDeleteGreat! Thanks so much. We value privacy above all, so I'm thinking we will reserve a site in Loop 5.
ReplyDeleteThat is the most private loop, and still not far to the river at all.
ReplyDelete