Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Bill Howard in the Carolina Peacemaker: Confused? Making it up?

The Carolina Peacemaker publishes an article on the April 15th, Tea Party rally in Greensboro, NC by Bill Howard. It is chock full of misrepresentations, distortions and mistakes. I'll take them as they come: 

"An overflowing standing room only crowd was in attendance..."

Professional media outlets and bloggers reported a crowd estimated at about 2,000 people. "Overflowing standing room only?" -- it was in an outdoor plaza with no seating. It is always standing room only, even when empty. The crowd did not overflow the plaza. Hyperbole is scarier though.

"... including a very large number of Tea party members wearing green T-shirts supporting Rush Limbaugh."

I was at the rally for about an hour. I combed the crowd. I took pictures and video. I did not see a single shirt that even mentioned Rush Limbaugh. "A very large number?" It seems as if there might be a picture or two that shows that -- if true.

"Upon entering the Tea Party rally, I found tables manned by Rush Limbaugh volunteers ready to register anyone who was not a registered voter"

What are Rush Limbaugh volunteers? I've never heard of such a thing. This deserves an explanation because if Rush Limbaugh is recruiting people on his behalf to register voters, that's a scoop for which Mr. Howard should get credit.

"...the only Black person to appear on the program."

The only people I have seen capitalize "black" and "white" are bigots. The AP Stylebook, the guide for professional reporters, says those words are not capitalized.

"He told the crowd numerous times to shout out the word 'Repel' referring to 'liberals.'"

LOL. The chant was "repeal," as in "repeal the health care bill," not repel, as in "repel the liberals," although that probably would have been popular too.

"A writer from the Washington Post was then introduced..."

Her name is Carla Harper, she is the president of the Greater Greensboro Republican Women's Club and writes a blog for the Washington Times. I repeat, the Washington Times.

"White power was also an issue of great importance to the vast majority and they even, at one point, chanted 'White power, White power.'"

Let's skip Mr. Howard's implied mind reading abilities. Mr. Howard misheard and misunderstood a lot of things that day. This too? With all of the media in attendance, it is highly unlikely that this would have gone unrecorded or unreported by others -- had it, in fact, been chanted.

2 comments:

  1. who wants to make the first contact with MKr. Howard to see if a retraction is in order at the carolinapeacemaker?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like very much to hear from Mr. Howard. I sent an email to editor@carolinapeacemaker.com asking from comment (none yet), but I do not know how to reach Mr. Howard directly.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...