Monday, May 17, 2010

No college for you!

"Let's just say, if you wonder why America is in the crap it's in... well here ya go!"
Education at GTCC: Sold out.

2 comments:

  1. There are many things to consider. The author states that classes should be open to new and returning students alike. This is a great idea. The part that sucks is when you have attended for 2 and one half years and you still haven't been able to register fast enough for your maths or sciences (because all of the good classes/time slots fill instantly when online registration opens up), which fill up FAST. I feel that returning students should get first pick but I am biased because I am a returning student.

    Also, don't forget that last year, enrollment was up 15% and it will rise this year also.

    GTCC simply doesn't offer many curriculum classes in the summer and they are all "mini-mesters", about 10 weeks in length. I first registered at GTCC in January 2009 but began preparing for it all in October of 2008. I had a crappy schedule with an 8am class and also a night class but I made it through.

    I understand the authors frustration. My advice is to hold out for fall semester when there are MANY more classes and schedules to choose from even for new students.

    As for the SOAR sessions: These sessions are designed to introduce new students to Moodle (GTCC's equivalent of Blackboard, an online instructional/gradebook program) and WebAdvisor, which is GTCC's free email service/online registration. The SOAR session is essential to success in one's classes at GTCC. Nowadays, assignments, syllabi, and grades are all posted online as GTCC is strict about paper/printing.

    Please hang in there and don't let this discourage you. What really sucks is that many of the core classes are filled with moochers who are waiting for their fin. aid refund checks. These folks usually drop the class after the checks come in. The passenger load on the city buses lightens up and classes of 25-30 dwindle to about 10-15, frequently. How do we remedy this? Putting an end to financial aid fraud would free up SO MANY classes for new students like the author.

    --Brandon Burgess

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the insight, Brandon.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...