What I appreciate about this video is that you can see the city manager and Councilwoman Bellamy-Small in the bottom corner of the image, watching it happen.
You see the manager sort of stroll off, no doubt to alert security.
These folks appear to have legitimate beefs. Why isn't this chief being attacked like the last one over these same issues. I was under the impression that Bellamy was hired because of the belief that he would bring resolution to these issues and bring about an era of unity and understandin. In fact, Bellamy created the gang unit. Is he not a racist for targeting hispanics in such a manner?
When I saw the headlines I thought they were protesting the corruption which allowed officers to go unpunished for their rule violations and conduct unbecoming police officers; the corruption which allows good officers to be dragged down into the mud because of the failure of the current police administration to clean up the unprofessional actions of Hinson and his cohorts. But they're actually protesting in support of illegal and unethical practices by the police administration, not against them.
Roch, you are correct. I should have worded that as "serious complaints". Like you, I have not been convinced that GPD is responsible for the break-ins at Cornell's/ALKQN homes that were alleged in Yes! At the People's Town Hall meeting in February, Nelson Johnson was talking about how GPD had harassed Cornell and that had it not been for himself (Johnson), Cornell may have very well been murdered.
I do think it is interesting that it is a black chief perpetuating this racist conspiracy considering what I have been told about black folks being incapable of racism because they have no power. Bellamy has the power to shut this allegedly racist (in my opinion, effective) unit. Bellamy had the power to fire a corrupt officer (actually, a number of them). He did fire Blake but had his decision over-ruled by Morgan, a white man who as far as I know, has no expertise in law enforcement, and nobody had a problem with that.
Cornell ran on a platform of uniting blacks and browns against "the system" but the system is obviously a black led institution, at least with regards to the police department. Leave it to me to always make it about race, huh?
Also, 90 rounds of 7.62x39 and an assault rifle don't seem to indicate a group committed to peace. I would hate to have read a story about those 90 rounds being put through a door/wall and injuring someone. Of course, if the guns were in cases and the law was informed about the presence of firearms, then I don't think they have broken the law. On the other hand, they were charged with going armed to the terror of the public. Maybe Spag can enlighten me: Doesn't that mean someone must have reported seeing the guns? Can an officer charge someone with that without a call regarding the weapons?
Sorry for the late comment, guys. Brandon: I don't see any reference on the NC courts website to Wesley Williams and Richard Robinson going armed to the terror of the public. In fact, both are charged with the opposite, it would seem: misdemeanor carrying concealed weapon. Also, according to the N&R story, the traffic stop took place at 4:30 in the morning. I've never owned a gun or much covered gun-related offenses, so I confess that I don't have a clear understanding of the implication of the different possible charges. No disrespect to our "Mama Grizzly" friends who champion the Second Amendment.
Roch, I raise this issue with all due respect and the hope that we can have a respectful and thorough discussion looking at all the facts, and including all members of this community, as good public safety and fairness is something in which all have a stake.
How can you say that that the students' protests amount to no more than "generalized complaints unsubstantiated by specifics"?
I'm watching the speakers from the floor segment of the May 4 meeting. The students had previously been asked to bring back some specific examples of what they deem to be corruption and double-standards.
They cite chapter and verse, discussing an incident when a gang enforcement officer lied to a temporary employment service manager about a supposed ban restricting a member of the Latin Kings from working on city property. The young man lost his job, and later the deputy city manager formally stated there was no such ban.
The Greensboro Police Department brought a trumped-up charge against AJ Blake even though the investigating detective could find no evidence that an assault on Sandra Sanchez had been perpetrated. Sanchez told him no assault occurred and the crime scene investigator found no markings on a coat worn by Sanchez or markings on her back even after shining a light on her exposed back. The detective testified that he was ordered by his commander to bring the charge after a conference with the DA's office.
Cherrell Brown also cites as a double standard that an officer [Schultheis] shot and killed an unarmed black man in 2008 and faced no reprimand, while Blake was terminated by the chief for allegations that were flimsy to begin with and didn't hold up in court.
It may be your opinion that these specifics do not substantiate charges of corruption and double standards, but it seems to me that the specifics need to be addressed before they're dismissed with a summary judgment.
I am not going to dig my heels in. I may indeed be ignorant of the specifics. (Although, I pay pretty close attention -- maybe not as close as someone paid to cover these things -- but, regardless, if someone like me is saying he's not hearing the specifics, perhaps the tactics of the demonstrators are not very effective at making their point).
I'll try to take a look at the speakers from the floor from that meeting, but were there only these three complaints? And, not trying to be funny, what are we being asked to believe about the chief's firing of Blake? That the chief is unprofessional? Biased? Racist?
These three complaints are articulated by two of the students who would later be arrested that night. They represent only a few allegations. And these complaints are taken from some 97 questions the Pulpit Forum has posed to the chief. Within the questions are about a dozen incidents they characterize as corruption, double standards or unethical behavior. If you don't have a copy of the questions, I'd be happy to e-mail the PDF to you.
About the chief's firing of Blake. One possible explanation -- unsubstantiated and denied by the chief -- is that he is caving in to pressure both from above on the city council and below from rank-and-file, mainly white officers. The pastors and students allege that Bellamy has lost command of the department. Add to that a perception that the chief's authority has been undermined by the mayor's statement that he was appointed because of raise.
Police dept. corruption? Surely they can't be referring to those officers who have alleged ties to drug dealers and prostitutes?
ReplyDeleteWhat I appreciate about this video is that you can see the city manager and Councilwoman Bellamy-Small in the bottom corner of the image, watching it happen.
ReplyDeleteYou see the manager sort of stroll off, no doubt to alert security.
These folks appear to have legitimate beefs. Why isn't this chief being attacked like the last one over these same issues. I was under the impression that Bellamy was hired because of the belief that he would bring resolution to these issues and bring about an era of unity and understandin. In fact, Bellamy created the gang unit. Is he not a racist for targeting hispanics in such a manner?
ReplyDelete--Brandon Burgess
When I saw the headlines I thought they were protesting the corruption which allowed officers to go unpunished for their rule violations and conduct unbecoming police officers; the corruption which allows good officers to be dragged down into the mud because of the failure of the current police administration to clean up the unprofessional actions of Hinson and his cohorts.
ReplyDeleteBut they're actually protesting in support of illegal and unethical practices by the police administration, not against them.
Boy, was I wrong.
Legitimate beefs, Brandon? They seem like generalized complaints unsubstantiated by specifics to me.
ReplyDeleteRoch, you are correct. I should have worded that as "serious complaints". Like you, I have not been convinced that GPD is responsible for the break-ins at Cornell's/ALKQN homes that were alleged in Yes! At the People's Town Hall meeting in February, Nelson Johnson was talking about how GPD had harassed Cornell and that had it not been for himself (Johnson), Cornell may have very well been murdered.
ReplyDeleteI do think it is interesting that it is a black chief perpetuating this racist conspiracy considering what I have been told about black folks being incapable of racism because they have no power. Bellamy has the power to shut this allegedly racist (in my opinion, effective) unit. Bellamy had the power to fire a corrupt officer (actually, a number of them). He did fire Blake but had his decision over-ruled by Morgan, a white man who as far as I know, has no expertise in law enforcement, and nobody had a problem with that.
Cornell ran on a platform of uniting blacks and browns against "the system" but the system is obviously a black led institution, at least with regards to the police department. Leave it to me to always make it about race, huh?
--Brandon Burgess
Also, 90 rounds of 7.62x39 and an assault rifle don't seem to indicate a group committed to peace. I would hate to have read a story about those 90 rounds being put through a door/wall and injuring someone. Of course, if the guns were in cases and the law was informed about the presence of firearms, then I don't think they have broken the law. On the other hand, they were charged with going armed to the terror of the public. Maybe Spag can enlighten me: Doesn't that mean someone must have reported seeing the guns? Can an officer charge someone with that without a call regarding the weapons?
ReplyDelete--Brandon Burgess
Some good points, Brandon, from both perspectives.
ReplyDeleteSorry for the late comment, guys. Brandon: I don't see any reference on the NC courts website to Wesley Williams and Richard Robinson going armed to the terror of the public. In fact, both are charged with the opposite, it would seem: misdemeanor carrying concealed weapon. Also, according to the N&R story, the traffic stop took place at 4:30 in the morning. I've never owned a gun or much covered gun-related offenses, so I confess that I don't have a clear understanding of the implication of the different possible charges. No disrespect to our "Mama Grizzly" friends who champion the Second Amendment.
ReplyDeleteThanks for correcting the record, Jordan.
ReplyDeleteRoch, I raise this issue with all due respect and the hope that we can have a respectful and thorough discussion looking at all the facts, and including all members of this community, as good public safety and fairness is something in which all have a stake.
ReplyDeleteHow can you say that that the students' protests amount to no more than "generalized complaints unsubstantiated by specifics"?
I'm watching the speakers from the floor segment of the May 4 meeting. The students had previously been asked to bring back some specific examples of what they deem to be corruption and double-standards.
They cite chapter and verse, discussing an incident when a gang enforcement officer lied to a temporary employment service manager about a supposed ban restricting a member of the Latin Kings from working on city property. The young man lost his job, and later the deputy city manager formally stated there was no such ban.
The Greensboro Police Department brought a trumped-up charge against AJ Blake even though the investigating detective could find no evidence that an assault on Sandra Sanchez had been perpetrated. Sanchez told him no assault occurred and the crime scene investigator found no markings on a coat worn by Sanchez or markings on her back even after shining a light on her exposed back. The detective testified that he was ordered by his commander to bring the charge after a conference with the DA's office.
Cherrell Brown also cites as a double standard that an officer [Schultheis] shot and killed an unarmed black man in 2008 and faced no reprimand, while Blake was terminated by the chief for allegations that were flimsy to begin with and didn't hold up in court.
It may be your opinion that these specifics do not substantiate charges of corruption and double standards, but it seems to me that the specifics need to be addressed before they're dismissed with a summary judgment.
Jordan,
ReplyDeleteI am not going to dig my heels in. I may indeed be ignorant of the specifics. (Although, I pay pretty close attention -- maybe not as close as someone paid to cover these things -- but, regardless, if someone like me is saying he's not hearing the specifics, perhaps the tactics of the demonstrators are not very effective at making their point).
I'll try to take a look at the speakers from the floor from that meeting, but were there only these three complaints? And, not trying to be funny, what are we being asked to believe about the chief's firing of Blake? That the chief is unprofessional? Biased? Racist?
These three complaints are articulated by two of the students who would later be arrested that night. They represent only a few allegations. And these complaints are taken from some 97 questions the Pulpit Forum has posed to the chief. Within the questions are about a dozen incidents they characterize as corruption, double standards or unethical behavior. If you don't have a copy of the questions, I'd be happy to e-mail the PDF to you.
ReplyDeleteAbout the chief's firing of Blake. One possible explanation -- unsubstantiated and denied by the chief -- is that he is caving in to pressure both from above on the city council and below from rank-and-file, mainly white officers. The pastors and students allege that Bellamy has lost command of the department. Add to that a perception that the chief's authority has been undermined by the mayor's statement that he was appointed because of raise.