Sunday, August 23, 2009

Emotions as a cause, Ayn Rand on the popular right

A thread at Ed Cone's turned to a discussion of epistemology, ie. how do we know what we think we know? I am reading "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand and Rand has a lot to say about epistemology and politics and how one influences the other. Rand asserts that there is such a thing as objective reality, that the success or failure of a populace in assessing objective reality has social/political consequences.

I find it ironic that Rand, a philosophical wellspring of modern conservatism, admonishes the socialists/communists villains of "Atlas Shrugged" for failings of reason in a way that can be properly directed at the modern popular right.* I've observed it as people trying to assert a point of view by untethering themselves from reality, Rand describes it thus:
"[They] have reversed causality in their consciousness, then strive to reverse it in existence. They take their emotions as a cause, and their mind as a passive effect. They make their emotions their tool for perceiving reality. They hold their desires as an irreducible primary, as a fact superseding all facts."
"They want to cheat the axiom of existence and consciousness, they want their consciousness to be an instrument not of perceiving but of creating existence, and existence to be not the object but the subject of their consciousness..."
And, elesewhere, this:
A rational process is a moral process. You may make an error at any step of it, with nothing to protect you but your own severity, or you may try to cheat, to fake the evidence and evade the effort of the quest--but if devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality, then there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion that the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.



* I recognize that I am making a generalization, one that I think is credible but, as a generalization, implicitly acknowledges that there are individual exceptions.



13 comments:

  1. If you are going to assign these failings to the "modern popular right" it would help if you would cite some examples.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Probably the most egregious recent example was the large number who believed that Iraq was behind 9/11.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're getting a lot more out of the book than I did. The real irony is none of the chowderheads around here have the mental stamina and long term discipline to deal with Shrugged. Congrats.

    Not buying much tp these days, I expect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My sheet of TP to page of Shrugged ratio is about 7 to 1.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I understand you consider her a "a philosophical wellspring of modern conservatism", but the faults you have pointed out can be applied all around. You are ignoring the "objective reality" that faults in peronality and ego's cross over any label that people use to give themselves a sense of identity, such as "liberal" or "conservative."

    I'd love to check out the book but truth be told, philosophy is way over my simple head.

    --brandonB

    ReplyDelete
  6. "I'd love to check out the book but truth be told, philosophy is way over my simple head."

    It is over your head, yet you feel qualified to offer a judgment. Rand would say that one of your premises is wrong since A cannot be A in one thought and B in another. Either it is over your head and you are a fool to offer an opinion or it is not over your head and you should stop using that as an excuse for your intellectual laziness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Roch, I offered no judgement about the book or Rand's philosophy, only your statement about conservatives. Read for comprehension.

    --brandonB

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here is a good debate proposition: It ought to be less embarrassing to have been influenced by Ayn Rand than by Karl Marx.

    "The most powerful way to argue the affirmative is to compare the number of human beings murdered by the devotees of each. That line of attack ought to be decisive, but I’m afraid it won’t get you far with the multitude of highly-self-regarded thinkers influenced by Karl Marx. Fact is, commitment to some kind of socialism and fluency in the jargon of Marxism used to be mandatory for serious intellectuals. And there’s something glamorous in the very idea of the intellectual. Even for those of us who came of age after 1989, Marxism, like cigarettes, remains linked by association to the idea of the intellectual, and so, like cigarettes, shares in the intellectual’s glamour. I don’t know if cigarettes or Marxism have killed more people, but it’s pretty clear cigarettes are more actively stigmatized. Marxists, neo-Marxists, crypto-Marxists, post-Marxists, etc. have an enduring influence on intellectual fashion. So it is not only possible proudly to confess Marx’s influence on one’s thought, but it remains possible in some quarters to impress by doing so. It ought to be embarrassing, but it isn’t. Being a bit of a Marxist is like having a closet full of pirate blouses but never having to worry."

    RTWT

    Cheers

    Fred Gregory

    ReplyDelete
  9. Roch is reading Ayn Rand and I just did an Fconnect at Huff-Po. Who'd a thunk it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Roch - kudos on getting to Atlas Shrugged, it's a book every American ought to read (I know it's long) because there are countless similarities with today's poltical environment...

    I would submit to you however, that conservatives (such as those you mention on Iraq) do not hold a monopoly on disfunctional thought. There are clearly some kooks on the right, but there are lots of nuts on the left as well - neither of those have anything to do with the teachings of Ayn Rand, nor is her philosophy responsible for their lack of reason/objectivity.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, Everest. As I noted in the footnote to my original post, there are exceptions -- on both sides.

    There is a decidedly anti-intellectual attitude on the popular right though that you don't see integrated into the popular left. When is the last time you heard someone on the right try to poison the well by referring to someone as an "intellectual elitist." That is a rather common complaint from the right, however. And currently, it is the popular right who, for the past several years, with their beliefs that Iraq was behind 9/11, Sadddam had WMDs, Obama is a Muslim, death panels, and on and on who spin their wheels in rhetoric firmly planted in misinformation.

    Personally, I found it enlightening that there is a rational foundation, a reasoned case to be made for some of the conservative platform. If I was a little surprised, it might have a little something to do with the popular right being currently so anti-intellectual and so unreasonable. Yes, there are individuals of all stripes who are irrational and uninformed, but misinformation and faulty logic have become near foundations of modern popular rhetoric on the right. Listen to it objectively and I think you'll agree.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fred, I am not sure what you are trying to say, if it is that intellectualism is to be shunned because Marxists were fond of it, well I don't disagree that many on the right are of that opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Interesting response - and glad you liked (I think) Rand. Conservatives (of which I am proud to be) as a group should stick to the facts and objective arguements on all issues - because I think the majority of Americans agree with the merits and foundations of true conservatism...

    You mention a couple of topics though, that I would take exception with. It wasn't just conservatives that thought Sadaam had WMD, but Clinton, Dems in Congress, France, Germany, UN, etc...and they're are nearly as many people on the Left that think Bush knew about 9/11 beforehand as think Sadaam was behind it. And the reason the Left doesn't besmirch people by calling them "intellectual elitists" is simply because (1) they don't think it's a smear, and (2) most of them are...:)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...