Monday, May 04, 2009

On behalf of Greensboro, North Carolina, I apologize for bigot Charles Davenport

As a citizen of Greensboro, NC, I apologize for fellow resident and bigot Charles Davenport. In his column in the News & Record, Davenport explains why it is not practical for blacks and other minorities to be represented in police departments in numbers proportional to their population. It is, says the relic Davenport, because "Intellect and ability vary wildly across the population."

Davenport does not offer any explanation or evidence that the skills or intellect required to be a police officer are less prevalent among black people. He just asserts it, like the intellectual coward he has proven himself to be over and over again.

I will not suggest that the News & Record silence Davenport. It is better to know that racist, xenophobic, homophobic bigots live in Greensboro than to bury our heads in the sand. Just as important, let us recognize that Davenport, in his unwillingness to make an intellectually honest argument for his beliefs, in his unwillingness to engage in online discussions responding to his rantings or in his unwillingness to even answer a simple email inquiry is a coward, and if there is anything more despicable than a bigot, it is a cowardly bigot. On behalf of Greensboro, I apologize for him.

1 comment:

  1. If Wallace is any indication of a sharp black cop, I wouldn't think him to be the exception, then they must have "dumb-down" significantly the qualifications to be a police officer, you know, the same system used to process black kids thru the school system rather than have to teach them.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...