A commentator identifying himself as Charles Davenport, Jr. replies to this blog post. Here is his comment followed by my reply:
------------
11:17 PM, May 26, 2009
Anonymous
I don’t recall ever receiving an e-mail fom Roch, but I will take his word for it. Although I receive a significant volume of mail, I make an effort to respond to every correspondent, especially those with whom I disagree. I do not, however, waste time answering sophomoric, juvenile, ad hominem attacks, which is Roch’s field of expertise. He does not counter my arguments; he prefers tossing around the usual debate-ending terms--“racist,” “homophobe,” “bigot,” etc. But I am honored by his spastic name-calling, which I consider a concession of intellectual defeat. When Roch disagrees with a column, he throws a temper tantrum, like a petulant 2-year-old. I do not expend ammunition responding to every schoolyard taunt from pompous, venom-spewing bloggers.
Roch, you have called me a “cowardly bigot,” but I welcome the opportunity to go head-to-head, on any topic, in writing, with anyone worthy of my time. If you are so eager to engage, I propose that we write a pro-con, on the subject of your choosing--gay marriage and diversity hiring really seem to get under your skin--for a neutral publication. I’m looking forward to hearing from you.
Charles Davenport Jr.
-------
8:55 AM May 27, 2009
Roch101 said...
Hi Charles,
Welcome to the party. I am not sure what you have in mind for a neutral publication. Perhaps something freely accessible to the public at large to which you and I can publish without editorial interference, maybe with some facility for us and readers to engage in an on-going back and forth discussion of the subject at hand.
Hey! How about this Internet thingy?
You are welcome to comment at your pleasure on anything I've written here. (To avoid spam, after 60 days, comments are disabled so let me know if you find an older post on which you'd like to comment and I'll start a new thread. You can email me at sysop@wirecom.com -- I read and reply.)
For example, I observed that, despite your protestations that we should confine our discussions to the facts, you have a habit of making assertions unsupported by facts. You can refute or comment on that right now.
You might also start responding to comments on your N&R columns (where of the last ten, you have joined in the comment threads a total of zero times). Maybe you might even start a blog of your own. One of your first posts might be to answer the simple question I have yet to see you answer: Why do you oppose gay marriage?
I remain open to other venues for conducting a discussion, but this and other local blogs, the comment threads on your articles and the possibility of starting your own blog offer convenient and immediate opportunities that need no further delay, negotiation or complication.
Sounds like a THROWDOWN, y'all!!!
ReplyDeleteOld School!
You guys can use my site. I propose you each write something that isn't published. You then exchange them, and then write another piece with your argument and addressing your opponent. After that, the discussion would be a back and forth. I would disable all comments except from you two for a period of a few days to prevent others from interfering with the discussion. After that, let the readers decide.
ReplyDeleteI like Spag's idea. What do you say, Roch? We can e-mail to and fro to decide on our topic, then run with Spag's plan. Advise...
ReplyDeleteCordially,
Charles
Let me think about it. I am not sure why it is better than my other suggestions above or that it meets your suggestion for a neutral forum.
ReplyDeleteSeems like Sam's idea is more "convenient and immediate" than Charles starting his own blog, and if comments are blocked till the debate is over, more neutral than yours or the N&R comment section. So what's to think about?
ReplyDeleteRoch, I am not politically neutral nor do I ever claim to be. However, you know I will give you a fair shake and apply the rules evenly to everyone. I think the plan I proposed is a guarantee of fairness, and if I can't deliver that then I am guilty of all of the crap I accuse Ed Cone of.
ReplyDelete