My dad wrote a letter to the editor of the News & Record (Greensboro, NC) that was published today. He showed me his original submission that was clearly submitted as "From: Roch C. Smith, Sr."
The N&R took it upon themselves to publish the letter as from Roch Smith.
I'm very proud of my dad and we align closely in our politics, but dad tried to make it clear that the letter was not from Howard Coble's web site designer (thanks, dad). My liason with Coble's campaign was way too cool about it. I asked him if he read today's N&R. "Yeah, I saw your letter" he said. A staffer had faxed the letter to him with a note attached saying, "Our web designer." Before I could explain, my contact continued, "That's alright, you are entitled to your opinion. As long as you are doing a good job on our web site, we don't mind if you express your thoughts..." Finally, I cut him off and explained. We had a good laugh.
But really, with the N&R's reluctance to edit letters for accuracy, why in the world would they go through the trouble of changing a writer's name?
Roch, your link to the Congressman's website above has 3 s's.
ReplyDeleteThanks for your assistance in getting Congressman Coble reelected. Would you like a yard sign?
Thank you for the heads up, Tony. I've made the correction.
ReplyDeleteI am not in Coble's district. The other side of the street is though and I therefore, already have a yard sign.