Friday, September 26, 2008

Free Speech Alive and Well in Greensboro

I inquired with the City of Greensboro about the Obama campaign's rule that signs and banners would not be allowed at tomorrow's rally. Here is the reply I received from the city Public Affairs Director, Pat Boswell:

"Roch: The Obama campaign issued the statement that signs and banners are not permitted. City Police Officers will not enforce this rule as stated. However, if a person at the event is carrying a sign that in the officer’s judgment poses a risk to public safety—for example, a sign attached to a heavy or pointed piece of wood—then the officer may require that the person remove it from the site."

[This straightforward answer required more research than may be apparent. I appreciate the effort Pat made to get me an answer in a day and half. Thanks, Pat.]

Update: I just spoke to City attorney Terry Wood, and, while he cautioned that he does not set policy, only advises, he concurs that this is the lawfully correct policy. He says he doesn't see how Greensboro police could arrest someone for peaceably standing at the rally with a sign without violating their First Amendment rights.

4 comments:

  1. Good work Roch.
    Out of town interlopers with forked tongues will not dictate our First Amendment Rights.
    Now, you going with a sign? I'll try to bring a camera if you'd like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking of going with a sign that says, "Tony Wilkins [hearts] Obama." You want a picture of that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that...made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sure that Al Kohanowich is glad to hear that Greensboro police can't arrest someone for peaceably standing at the rally with a sign without violating their First Amendment rights. I wonder why his First Amendment rights got violated for doing that?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...