Monday, February 04, 2013

Tone deaf

GREENSBORO, NC -- Look, I don't consider local developer Roy Carroll a villain—good for him for being a successful entrepreneur, it's not easy—but he is not very adept at reading the social and political landscapes or his place among them when he chalks up the friction he encounters as simply the "1 percent thing."

Mr. Carroll is seemingly too self-absorbed and unaware to recognize the irony of saying, "I don’t expect to be treated any differently from anybody else," after he has received millions in tax breaks from the city of Greensboro to contribute to his business success. To be among the 1 percent and not recognize the special treatment he received is pretty amazing; and more than a little galling.

Mr. Carroll also seems unaware of the incongruity of his complaining about a 75 dB noise limit downtown being too high for him to live peacefully while building homes for people at the end of the airport runways where noise levels regularly exceed 85 dB (map below, Carroll's apartments starred). 



None of this is to say that Mr. Carroll doesn't deserve his success or a liveable home (as do we all, ahem), but Mr. Carroll is wrong to think that his frustrations are merely because he is unjustly scorned as a symbolic target for the vague dissatisfaction of the hoi poloi. Mr. Carroll is playing the role of entitled rich guy better than he realizes.

6 comments:

  1. I recall Mr. Carroll recently getting permission to built apartments
    in the noise cone of PTI.

    I recall him telling me at that meeting
    that there were about 65 apartments already built in the noise cone
    off Horse Pen Creek,
    you know, the one which has/had a big NAI Piedmont sign on it.

    Have you found only the one apartment complex in the noise cone, or both?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Roy Carroll requested that 45 acres on Horse Pen Creek Road
    at the intersection of Jessup Grove Road be rezoned for a mixed-use development.

    The plan calls for 18,000 square feet of retail, 110,000 of office and 360 apartments.

    Almost the entire development is inside the noise cone
    and Horse Pen Creek Road is one of the most overcrowded in the city."

    John Hammer

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had other info at the N&R, but they deleted it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The apartments I have marked are at Horse Pen Creek Road and Jessup Grove Road. I was not aware that the mayor's company was involved.

    ReplyDelete
  5. http://triadwatch.blogspot.com/2012/04/mayor-perkins-reversal-of-recusal-on.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete
  6. Millions in Tax breaks from the City and whining from the penthouse of a million dollar condo.

    Instead of being grateful he's prospered so well he has to remind us of his station in life.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...