Monday, July 13, 2009

Shell crushing Kee

I sure would like to see district 2 Greensboro City Council candidate Jim Kee get his act together online. Opponent Ryan Shell is crushing him. Kee has a perfunctory and uninteresting presence on Twitter. Shell, meanwhile, is communicating real thoughts, enthusiastically, in depth and in multimedia. May not matter, who knows? But Greensboro could really use some elected officials who understand and are not afraid of modern communication tools.

15 comments:

  1. Maybe Mr. Kee's is going face to face to the constituency that actually live in the district and would actually vote.
    I'm not knocking young ryan's hustle and some of the ideas that he is coming up (bus benches)with has been addressed at council by previous and current councilmembers.
    I Guess it just takes someone of ryan's stripe for those concerns to be taken seriously. If that is the case, shame on progressive Greensboro.
    Make no mistake Kee's has deep roots in D2 and just because he doesn't have a blog or doesn't tweet as often as ryan doesn't mean he is connecting with his district and its voters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the record, I am face-to-face with the constituency on a daily basis.

    The reason people know about issues such as the bus stop issue is because I'm not just whispering the ideas and desires - I'm screaming them. I just got back from a sustainability meeting with a group of around 30 other folks and they now know that we need to enhance GTA (I brought it up tonight).

    Just thought I'd chime in since the anonymous comment made it sound as if I wasn't in touch with the constituency.

    Ryan Shell
    www.voteshell.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. When bus riders and a city councilmember also bring up this issue it is whispering ideas?
    Your arrogance amazes me!

    It does seem like you have great support in the blogosphere. If you are able to pull this off, I am sure you and your buddy matheny will have big bragging rights about taking over every corner of Greensboro! We all know you all are our SAVIOUR.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry, but I'm not really aware of what you are referencing. If folks have brought these ideas up before, that is great because we might be able to get some serious support and make things happen.

    And for the "blogosphere," I've been hounded plenty by folks, especially Roch.

    Feel free to contact me via the campaign Web site if you would like to chat. For whatever reason it appears you have overlooked, or discredited, the good that I am trying to accomplish.

    Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually ryan, I respect your hustle and it seems like you are thinking about ways to give you leverage over the other candidates. If by chance it helps D2, its all good.

    1.You are sending out press releases that are being picked. (Its good to have friends in the news media).
    2.You are on Facebook and Youtube (?).
    3. You are on twitter and has had a blog for a while.

    You are WORKING HARD and no one can ever take that away from you. I just hope that no matter what the results are in the fall, that you continue doing this. Also, maybe work with some of the community activists and churches.
    It's great that you are using the new media, but there were and are people in D2 who worked and are working in D2 to make it a better place before you were a twinkle in your father's eye. RESPECT that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I def respect what is going on in the community. I think your misconception is that I'm not doing so - and that is very far from the truth. The campaign is far reaching and as I've said from day one, collaboration is crucial.

    There is lots of work taking place other than what can simply be seen online. Thanks for the feedback. I'm probably not going to check this thread again, but feel free to reach out to me at voteshell.com.

    Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anon, would you stand by your opinions if you were asked to put your name to them? I'm asking. Who are you?

    Now, about whether Jim Kee is going to engage with modern technology...

    ReplyDelete
  8. See Ryan, I told you. Bloggers need you more than you need them. Play it to your advantage, not theirs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry, I didn't realize the anon option wasn't acceptable here.
    I am a voter who was born and raised in Greensboro. I went to college here and made the decision to remain in the city of my birth.
    I'm concerned about the direction that my city is going in and when I watch the city council meetings, I am DISGUSTED with the polarization and the grand standing.
    I live in a black community and know that I have a pulse on what is going on in my district.
    I am probably in a demographic who typically (my assumption)does not visit your blog on a regular basis. Therefore, I would hope that you would appreciate the insights that I can bring.
    I know that I have found some of the comments and responses on your blog very eyeopening. Actually some of the reponses are quite scary.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anon, as is self evident, anonymous comments are allowed here. It simply occurs to me that you seem to be attempting to exacerbate divisiveness with some of your comments so that you can then rail against what only you have brought to the conversation. I was wondering if you would be willing to put the credibility of your name to your comments. Apparently not.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been lurking for a few months now and decided to finally respond to a post that SPOKE to me.
    It definitely wasn't my intention to be divisive and I apologize if my response to the comments came off that way.

    Lord knows we have enough divisiveness in this city that should be inclusive in having all its citizens voices heard..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay, okay. Maybe I pulled off the gloves a little early. For what it's worth, your comments did read as to me if you were jumping to conclusions about what this race may become--anticipating the worst. I am suggesting we wait and see before bringing our fears to fruition.

    Please keep bringing your perspectives, the broader the cross section participating in local blogs, the better, and I apologize if I said anything to discourage that (although named commenters can and often do carry a little more weight, but I understand the desire to be anonymous sometimes.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Roch,
    One thing that I have noticed since I've been out here is how exclusive the local blogs are.
    I normally visit the Afrospear or national liberal blogs and decided to see what was going on in my own city.
    Although the local blogospear seem to be like a southern countryclub, I thought that I would respond to a post about a district that I am very familiar with and look what happens? I tell you, you local bloggers do protect your own. lol
    Yes, you did come at me hard, but I can take it. I was raised by a STRONG, single black woman so hit me with your best shot.
    Seriously though, I accept your apology and I strongly feel that voices like mine need to be heard on the local blogs in response to some of the comments.
    Lord knows if you base Greensboro on some of these blogs (not Roche 101) you would swear this was Mayberry.

    ReplyDelete
  14. check out votejimkee.com and it saying he serves on board of adjustments, are you sure?

    What is the mayor's steering committee?

    What 100 jobs?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Um...
    http://www.yesweekly.com/article-6646-news.html

    Just saying

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...