Thursday, July 09, 2009

Blust proposes teeth for public records laws

This is why I am an unaffiliated voter; why I find it impossible though word or action to give my permanent allegiance to one political party or another. Because, while I may find myself agreeing with Democrats more often than with Republicans, good ideas can and do come from any direction. Such is the case with a bill introduced in the North Carolina General Assembly by Guilford County Representative John Blust (R).

HB 734 came to my attention today in a post from Pierce Egerton's new blog. The bill would change state law to greatly improve access to public records by making those who stand in the way of access personally financially liable.

One of my greatest frustrations with records requests in Greensboro has been that there are no consequences to those who obstruct access. Bureaucrats can drag their feet, undertake a request with little or no diligence or even lie. I've experienced them all. What happens? Nothing.

Blust's bill would change that. The people who obstruct records requests would be personally responsible with a fine of up to $50 per day for each day that an official fails to produce a record without good cause. Good. Necessary.

Should this bill become law, I do not think I will any longer have the City of Greensboro legal staff tell me that a record holder says he doesn't have records when the record custodian has said no such thing; nor will a city employee tell me that there are no records responsive to my request when he has not even looked.

Blust's bill would also create the Open Government Unit that would disseminate information about public records law, issue opinions and mediate disputes. (more from the AP here.)

If you live in Guilford County, you can find your state representatives on this web page. None of Guilford's other representatives are currently sponsors or co-sponsores of this bill. Let them hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...