Tuesday, March 20, 2012

City Councilor Vaughan's rebuttal on records denial

City Council Nancy Vaughan rebuts the City Attorney's opinion on personnel records:
"Since the statutes are silent on records such as: employee expense accounts, advanced training, certifications and commendations (just to name a few) doesn’t mean that those documents are not public records. I would argue that those documents should be in the public domain. How ironic is it that employee commendations are disallowed under the current reading of 160A-168 but employee disciplinary actions are public records under the current legislation?

"In January, I requested, and received, a listing of specialized training and certifications earned by Reserve Officers. I assume that that information is part of their personnel files. 160A-168 is silent on specialized training and certifications. Was the City in violation by divulging that information? I don’t think so. But a strict interpretation of 160A-168 may lead you to that conclusion."

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...