Wednesday, March 21, 2012

American Pop Digital; legitimate?

UPDATE: I received this from Live Nation:
"Looking at your e-mail I can confirm that americanpopdigital.com is not one of our partner sites. We suggest not clicking any of the links and deleting the e-mail."
[end update]
----------------
I received an email from someone identifying himself as Paul Graham a "senior account representative" with American Pop Digital Social Media Marketing. He said he was working on a promotion for his client, ticket vendor Live Nation, and wanted to know if I would like two free tickets to an upcoming (big name) concert to give away on Greensboro 101.

My initial response was, "sure," but then things got a little henky. Graham explained that I could conduct the contest however I wanted and that all I had to do was send the winner's full name, email and phone number to him and the tickets would be available for the winner to pick up at the box office will-call window.

But what if they weren't? What if I conducted a contest with the credibility and good name of Greensboro 101 behind it and there were no tickets? After all, I don't know this guy from Adam. So I asked Graham to mail me the tickets.

He said he couldn't do that and seemed flummoxed by my need for something more substantial than an email promise that hundred of dollars of tickets were at my disposal.

I asked if he could give me some kind of credible confirmation from Live Nation that there are indeed two tickets set aside for Greensboro 101.

I have not heard back. (see below)

Maybe Graham is legitimate and just hasn't given much thought to how to inspire confidence in a day of rip-offs and scams; or maybe the fact that the name of a "senior account representative" is nowhere to be found on his company's website (nor is Live Nation listed as a client) combined with his obtuse response to my concerns really are all I need to know.
--------
UPDATE II. Before bringing this blog post to Mr. Graham's attention, I received this from him:
"We have a marketing hold for tickets at the Greensboro Coliseum, so the tickets are for sure available even if the show sells out on Live Nation, however I don’t have any other way of proving that to you, other than by telling you."

2 comments:

  1. Today I actually received an email from American Pop Digital too, but for an entirely different thing.

    This was the email I had received

    "Congratulations on being the lucky winner! I wanted to let you know that your Pampers Limited Edition “USA” diapers and wipes- for a little one close to you, are on their way!

    Thanks for participating! I hope your little one enjoys the "USA" diapers! :)

    Best,
    Meeshel"

    However it seems legitimate to me because, one, they never asked for any information from me in the email, and 2, I've been entering a lot of giveaways lately, and I had actually already received a box of the Pamper's USA diapers from a blog giveaway. Although this one couldn't possibly be from a blog giveaway, somehow I must have entered something through Pampers directly because they included a link in the email to this site for more information

    http://news.pampers.com/press-release/products-services/pampers-gives-families-chance-cross-pond-and-visit-ultimate-playgrou

    I kind of Googled the company and it appears to be legitimate.
    Just in case though, if you do run a contest, you can always add that the prize is the sole responsibility of the sponsor. Just a thought (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. They provided a link? Oh well then.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...