Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Most hated online ad techniques

Greensboro, NC -- The News & Record's website is a careless and confused mess and it's getting worse as they try to cram more and more advertising into it. Their latest technique is the expanding ad, an intrusive beast that expands to cover a portion of what the user came to see.

Ad covering a large portion of the content

DigTriad was deploying these ads for a while, but seems wisely to have stopped. Seeing the ad for Sears burp itself into my way at the News & Record, I was reminded of a great new (to me) site I stumbled upon all about web and mobile usability. It's Jakob Nelson's site Useit.com.

He has an article titled "The Eleven Most Hated Advertising Techniques." Although from 2004, I suspect they are probably still pretty hated. From Useit.com.

Design Element Users Answering
"Very Negatively"
or "Negatively"
Pops-up in front of your window 95%
Loads slowly 94%
Tries to trick you into clicking on it 94%
Does not have a "Close" button 93%
Covers what you are trying to see 93%
Doesn't say what it is for 92%
Moves content around 92%
Occupies most of the page 90%
Blinks on and off 87%
Floats across the screen 79%
Automatically plays sound 79%

5 comments:

  1. It got so annoying on the mobile site that I just stopped going altogether. Lately, I am browsing on my phone much more often than a computer so that means I hardly ever visit the N&R website now.

    --Brandon Burgess

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by, Brandon. No doubt the use of mobile devices to access web content is growing. About 7% of the visits to Greensboro 101 are now on mobile devices, a small percentage, but they are also some of the "stickiest" visits, spending more time than average on the site. There are a range of options for accommodating mobile users, but if they aren't offered all the features and functionality of the website through apps, they should be offered it through the web, and that means a site design that works on mobile devices or a design alternative just for mobile users. With the N&R's website, my complaint is that it is not even friendly for computer users.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's as if they no longer want any readers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Roch Smith Jr.,

    I am requesting your preferred email address. Our team at Arizona State University would like you to take part in a future survey that helps people understand more about how your publication helps better inform communities.

    Please respond directly at tmento [at] asu [dot] edu.

    Sincerely,
    Tarryn Mento

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to work for Sears telecenter.... horrible job... LOL

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...