Monday, December 07, 2009

Coliseum Director issues correction: There was no unanimous War Memorial Commission vote in support of the swim center.

Tony Wilkins reported that the War Memorial Commission took a vote on December 3rd on supporting the proposed financing scheme for the proposed swim center. It passed 8 to 1.

But Keith of Triadwatch notes in the comments that Coliseum Director Matt Brown, two days prior, told City Councilor Trudy Wade at a public meeting that the War Memorial Commission had voted unanimously in support of the swim center.

Here is a transcript (On video here, starting at the 01:05:00 mark):

==========
Brown: "I can only speak to you of what... my presentation to both the Parks and Recreation Commission and War Memorial Commission were nothing but enthusiastic support, I can say unanimous support because I didn't hear anyone oppose the idea and object it once we described and were clear in the details of what the end product was."

Wade: "So you never took a vote on any of it, you just discussed it. Is that correct?"

B: "On Which group, Trudy?

W: "Either group. Did you ever vote on whether we...?"

B: "The War Memorial Commission voted, I'm not sure we had an actual vote on the Parks and Recreation Commission, I'm not sure there's a member here who could attest that for me, but..."

W: "Well, what was the vote? It was unanimous...

B: "Yes."

W: "...on the War Memorial?

B: "Yes, ma'am."
========

This exchange led me to submit a records request of the City for "all minutes of the War Memorial Commission at which any votes were taken regarding the proposed swim center."

In response to my request, I did not receive any minutes. I did receive a letter, dated today, from Coliseum Director Matt Brown to the City Manager and City Council that reads, in part:
"I incorrectly stated that the War Memorial Commission had held a formal vote in support of the Aquatic Center. I then compounded my error by later stating that I recalled the WMC vote as unanimous."
As much as I despise the hyperbolic BS that too often accompanies the cheerleading for these kinds of public projects, Brown deserves credit for correcting his mistake, publicly, directly and unambiguously.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...