Did you know there are a couple of cops in Greensboro who have conducted scores of illegal warrantless searches? Neither did I. A supposed leader in our community allegedly whispered that to "substantiate" a point of view.
This kind of whisper with a wink and a nudge is, unfortunately, not uncommon. There is a frothy subcurrent of "discourse" in Greensboro that I find sickening. It involves people wedded to an untenable opinion, unable to convince others with reason and facts of their point of view and yet unwilling to adjust to reality. Instead, they resort to explaining their opinions with rumors of secret evidence -- stuff they earnestly ask us to believe exists but cannot produce for inspection and often have no first-hand knowledge of themselves. "Wait until the tapes come out." "You know it's because she was sleeping with him." "We have information." "If you only knew what I know."
It would be one thing if this crap came from little old ladies around a knitting circle, that it comes from elected officials, newspaper editors, reporters, police officers, preachers and otherwise seemingly intelligent and upstanding people is mind boggling. Please, put up or shut up. I'm willing to follow the facts, but the rumor mongering is despicable.
I couldn't agree more. And your descritption of being 'wedded to an untenable position' is exactly what has taken place. Every single thing that was claimed about the police scandel has turned out to be false and not based on any facts. Every accusation about bias in the police dept has turned out to be just the opposite. People promoted to the highest level claim bias, people allowed to carry guns and badges with a moral compass of street thugs. And still they claim this is for the betterment of society and the quality of life in Greensboro. I have moved out of the city and out of the county. I will not allow myself or my family to encounter a GPD officer for fear our lives may be at risk. There are others like myself, too. We've had enough and have left for sanity sake.
ReplyDelete