Thursday, August 09, 2012

The News & Obfuscator

One of the more useless endeavors of local media is the regurgitation of police press releases. It's worse when they scrub them of information.

From the News & Record:
Police did not provide complete descriptions of the suspects.
From the press release:
She stated she was approached by two B/M subjects, both described as 18 years old, wearing white tee, black shorts and white tennis shoes.  

8 comments:

  1. As various N&R staffers have mentioned on several occasions, the paper's style guide requires a more detailed description for the description to be considered useful enough to publish. I'm sympathetic. "18yo b/m wearing white tee, black shorts and white tennis shoes" -- no height, no weight, no complexion, no identifying scars/marks/tattoos -- describes thousands of people in the city of Greensboro alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Precisely. So what is the point, in this day and age where the press releases are available directly by email, the web and twiiter in a source whose "style guide" results in less information? Why would I turn to it instead of the original source? Because I want them to decide for me what is useful?

    I'd rather have them vet the information than style it. Now that would be useful. Unvetted and filtered seems pointless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The original points out that the suspects are not female, which eliminates about 50% of the population. The age range eliminates many others. The identity of race further reduces the number of possible suspects.
    I think Roch is right on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. But, seriously, what is the point?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What's the point of ANY description? To enlist the aid of the public in identifying/apprehending a suspect. So you need enough information to describe a unique individual; otherwise, what's the point?

    There are many things for which the N&R can be criticized. This isn't one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really? Enough of a description to describe a unique individual? Surely you don't mean that as even, 5'8" white male, early twenties with red hair, glasses and a goatee still doesn't rise to "unique." On the other hand, it's not unimaginable that someone could read the description in the police press release and remember, "Hey, I saw two young black guys in black shorts and white t-shirts leaving that location about that time. They got into a white Ford Bronco with a cracked windshield."

    If the N&R isn't going to provide some added value, if they are just going to be a pass-through with some sanitizing and enough rewording to be able to put a staff byline on it, they might as well automate the process of redistributing press releases, leave it up to software, and free up staff for some real reporting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. BTW, when I asked what is the point, I meant what is the point of removing information from a description.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sex, race and general description of clothing and physical attributes are helpful. Specific time is equally as important to me as a citizen so I can know if I need to be on guard during the day or if most of these events are occurring overnight when I am asleep in the bed.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...