Thinking further about Patriot Coaching's and Conservatives for Guilford County's
toxic influence on local politics: You don't treat half of the population as enemies without making enemies. You don't get to contribute to the bifurcation of America without having to deal with the other half. Doing so is not an amputation in which the other half withers and dies, it is a cell division that feeds
this:
You, who could not survive the thought of minimal health care reform, or financial regulation, or a marginal tax rate equal to that which you paid just 10 years earlier, perhaps are under the illusion that everyone is as weak as you, as soft as you, as akin to petulant children as you are, as unable to cope with the smallest setback, the slightest challenge to the way you think your country should look and feel, and operate.
But they are not.
And they know how to regroup, and plot, and plan, and they are planning even now — we are — your destruction.
And I do not mean by that your physical destruction. We don’t play those games. We’re not into the whole “Second Amendment remedies, militia, armed resistance” bullshit that your side fetishizes, cuz, see, we don’t have to be. We don’t need guns.
We just have to be patient.
And wait for you to pass into that good night, first politically, and then, well…
Let me head off any arguments about "who started it" or "see what we are up against?" Those miss the point, which is this: By failing to find a way to honestly and respectfully INCLUDE people who do not meet your purity tests, by fashioning an approach to politics that is premised on the very notion of a rigid "us and them"--the included and the excluded with no compromise--this is the battlefield on which you will fight. Read
the whole thing. See your "enemy." Then decide if the tactics of division taught by Patriot Coaching and employed by C4GC are the best way to preserve the values you value or if they are more likely to result in their extinction. As the author of the above says, math dictates it's the latter. The only hope is to change the equation.
The racial angle of the article is disturbing, to me. Then I check out C4GC's Facebook page and read things like this:
ReplyDelete"... asking us not to come sit at his lunch counter? WOW..."
...referring to Alston's recent comments regarding C4GC's presence at County meetings where the group displays signs intended to heckle comissioners.
Like one of your recent commenters asked: Is it always about race?
-Brandon Burgess
I also don't recall C4GC condemning those who called Tabor's sparring buddy "gorilla" and "troglodyte".
ReplyDeleteHowever, they did delete the comments referring to the Spencer as the "n" word. But again, I don't recall a condemnation.
Maybe I'm just expecting to much or maybe I just didn't catch the anti-racist rebuttals. I only check up on the FB page every once in a while.
--Brandon Burgess
I agree, Brandon. Some people apparently think it's cute or clever to try to bend fake charges of racism back against its traditional victims. It shows a gross lack of understanding.
ReplyDeleteI also agree that it is notable what goes unchallenged on the CFGC Facebook page.
Now that I think about it, I do believe that the more racist comments appeared on a fb page in support of Tabor, not the C$GC page. But the comment about not being allowed at Alston's lunch counter is on the C$GC page and along with a number of other comments indicating that conservatives feel victimized because of race.
ReplyDelete--Brandon Burgess
C$GC=C4GC. Love that shift key.
ReplyDeleteAccording to Jeffrey Lord at The American Spectator, the Tea Party has a book to offer guidance: Mark Levin's Liberty and Tyranny: A Conservative Manifesto. Maybe C4GC should read it.
ReplyDelete