As Fain reports these "in-kind" contributions do not appear on any of the candidates' campaign financial reports, as all contributions, in-kind or cash, are supposed to. That's only part of the problem though. In North Carolina, it is against the law for corporations to make a donation, in-kind or otherwise, to a candidate.
Form the North Carolina Board of Elections Campaign Finance Manual:
"It is unlawful for any corporation, business entity, labor union, professional association, or insurance company to directly or indirectly contribute to a candidate."
While Kotis' may not be aware of this provision of campaign law, the candidates surely are. They should immediately ask Kotis to stop displaying ads they have no intention of paying for and they should pay Kotis for the ill-gotten publicity they've already received.
UPDATE: To be clear, Tony Wilkin's campaign report does list receipt of a "Donation of digital billboard-partial month" which is good for Wilkins. It still leaves me wondering why Kotis is explaining that there have been no invoices because customers are billed only after their ads have run for thirty days and wondering how billboard space is Kotis's to donate if it is corporate-owned.
The headline of this post has been edited from its original.
Roch-
ReplyDeleteThe contributions are from me personally and are reported as such. No one is hiding behind a company or PAC here. Our normal course of business is to invoice billboard customers after 30 days. The amount of which is based on the number of times the ad is displayed (we run a report which lists the numbers). I've been completely above board about this and have nothing to hide.
Marty Kotis
Regarding political signs. I often allow candidates I support to place signs on my property. If you spot a non-conforming sign, I would encourage you to contact the candidate or the city to resolve it.
ReplyDeleteThat also applies to any other illegal signs that you may notice on a property.
"Reported as such"
ReplyDeleteReported where?
I plan on filing a complaint with the BOE on the billboard, we shall see.
ReplyDeleteIts not right for certain candidates to get a kick back.
I got no beef with Kotis but when you are in an election and see how some use their current power to gain an edge, well its a kick in the groin, have marty give me a billboard and we will call it even
Reports of any donations are sent to the candidates or their campaign managers as available including invoices noting who paid for the item and the value of the contribution. We are following the rules precisely.
ReplyDeleteBut I don't think you're really looking for answers here from the tone of the post.
As I've seen you comment on Billy's blog on several occasions. You should get your facts straight before you go running around yelling fire. Challenge me all you want on this, you're simply in the wrong here.
ReplyDeleteSal-
ReplyDeleteHere's my advice - you need to start taking one and only one position on a topic. You can't tell one audience something they want to hear then turn around a tell a different audience something different. You also need to actually learn more about the city and how it operates (i.e., sewage treatment and property taxes), because when you make uninformed statements it really makes you look bad.
On the N&R site today you posted:
"I don't like the idea of a Kotis helping certain candidates that vote his way. There is no honor or ethics in that, I will not take any billboard from kotis, even if he gave me money to post it. I have no problem with making jobs for people but I am sure Kotis is not building the project because he had a calling from GOD, its about profit. Why take in an area which will cost us money, leave it in the county, will the project still not be built because it is in the county, no its about ripping off city tax payers for free water."
And in Yes Weekly you're quoted as saying:
YW - Should the city of Greensboro place more or less emphasis on maintaining a healthy water and sewer fund to plan for future growth? Why or why not?
"The city of Greensboro should place more emphasis on maintaining a healthy water and sewer plan. The future is why we are here today. Infrastructure is vital to any city. Fix the city cheaper today than more expensive tomorrow" - SAL LEONE
YW - The city’s tax base has remained flat for the past two years in a row, and the foreclosure crisis continues unabated. As a member of city council, how would you balance the need to fund services such as police patrol, fire protection and park maintenance that citizens care with the reality that the revenue picture remains bleak?
"The tax base remains flat, but that does not mean it has to stay flat. There are companies that are looking to move or grow. The city needs to offer tax breaks and other incentives for companies to relocate to Greensboro. The city has FedEx, Honda, and these companies are a good start. The relocation of more companies means jobs come with them. The formula is simple: People working = taxes coming in." SAL LEONE
Then on this blog you post:
"I got no beef with Kotis but when you are in an election and see how some use their current power to gain an edge, well its a kick in the groin, have marty give me a billboard and we will call it even"
I can't keep track of all your various statements and flip flopping. I suspect neither can the voting public.
I asked you the following questions on the N&R site and have yet to receive a reply: Are you against other water and sewer extensions, or have you been against any others? Where do you think this request stacks up against others in the past couple of years? What primary services does the City provide that the County does not? Do you believe that new businesses and industry should be required to provide their own water and sewer? Do you think that the City limits should be fixed? Do you think the water and sewer extensions to Forest Oaks or the Cardinal were appropriate or would you have voted against them? Do you understand that we have City and County property taxes? Do you understand how Sales Tax allocations are made to municipalities? As a candidate for council - I would hope you could answer these simple questions.
I repeat, reported where?
ReplyDeleteideology wise, why support a conservative like Tony and Nancy V and Yvonne at the same time?
ReplyDeleteWhy is the water sewer labeled "an economic development grant"?
ReplyDeleteWhy does the Agenda attachment say "once it is annexed into the city"?
ReplyDeleteWhy does it say "contingent on the site being successfully annexed into the city"?
Why would a standard water and sewer deal be "required to create at least 7 new full-time jobs by August 20, 2016"?
If it was a standard water and sewer deal, why are Andy Scott and former Greensboro Partnership lobbyist Kathi Dubel listed as contacts on the attachment?
ReplyDeleteWhy would it say the development is speculative?
Why aren't any retailers signed up yet?
Why would a standard water and sewer deal have a claw-back provision?
ReplyDeleteWhat is the expected pay for the "at least 7 full time equivalent positions"?
ReplyDeleteGeorge - you have yet to answer any of my questions.
ReplyDeleteAnd again, I remind you that you are running for office, not me. To be Mayor, you need to have answers and solutions in addition to 5 million questions.
I'd also say that this post by Roch and some of your comments are dangerously close to libel.
Marty Kotis
Hey Marty, I can understand why you think I flip flop and maybe a more explanation be what you deserve as a tax payer. I like to start off by saying that I respect you and what you do, you bring jobs to the local area. I shop and eat at one of your properties on Old Oak Ridge Road. I like to answer the flip flop statement, I like to see companies move to the city but we need better restrictions on incentives, Fed Ex was good but it did not deliver all the jobs it promised, I like to see a pro-rate for jobs not delivered and partial refund on incentives. I like to see more Greensboro residents get jobs, not companies that bring employees, and those that are employed and live outside the city, we lose on that, they don't rent or own in our city then.
ReplyDeleteThe other question was water lines and improving them, no flip flop there, lets improve what we have, you are talking about making a new line for a property outside the current city line. The City takes in your property and we lose 300,000, you still can build the property without it being in the city.
The question you asked about water to the cardinal and Forest Oaks, well I live in the cardinal and you know that already, lol, good question. The answer is simple Mr Kotis, water to people and developers are two things. The people need water to live, business deals are not life and death to people who need clean water.
You asked another question about business and giving them water if they come, how far they are outside the city and how many jobs they bring to our residents, all will be case by case. Your business is different, you want land placed in the city to make money and I am cool with that, that's America. All I got to say is give what you want to candidates, but you go above and beyond with the sign, its an unfair edge. Lets remember that you do business with the city, try to look mutual. I still respect you because you from what I hear are a cool person
Five quick reasons in no particular order that I've supported the candidates I have: 1) because they are all listening to the people of Greensboro and interested in bringing JOBS to the area, 2) they don't have any interest in turning us into a Cary or Chapel Hill where investment is nearly impossible, 3) they are willing to devote sufficient time and energy to the city's business, 4) they aren't looking to line their pockets (as I've seen in other states), and 5) they are genuinely nice people and I respect them. That doesn't mean that I agree with their decisions all of the time, but I wouldn't want that anyway.
ReplyDeleteYou asked a question on sales taxes, I almost forgot to answer. The city gets money based on how much property taxes we bring in, so if you build your property in the city, we get more. I think we take in about close to 40 million, about 9 or so % of our budget in sales tax. In order for us to get more money back, the city has to stay close to the county in property tax rates, every penny is about 300,000 so dollars. I have no problem with that, its just he way it is being done, if you got the water deal then more than likely I would not be upset, it is the way you support certain members of council that either go your way or vote your way. I just am looking for fairness, I think you helped with a dinner for TW, it is the billboard that is over the top. Just try to stay in the middle, I think you will get support either way.
ReplyDeleteI don't say this often but I am sorry if offened you, the sign thing got me upset.
Thanks Sal. And thanks for discussing the issues. By the way - this project is only 2,000ft from Osborne Wastewater treatment plant. And people drink and use water at work as well as in their homes. This being on a corner of the outer loop, you can imagine that there might be lots of people driving by that need water or a restroom. I suppose we could have an outhouse for the gateway entrance to Greensboro. And a well that is 2000ft from the area's largest Wastewater treatment plant, but that seems kind of silly.
ReplyDeleteWell lets talk sometime Marty, maybe we can become pals, I got till oct 8 to change your mind and maybe you will jump ship and support team sal,lol.
ReplyDeleteMarty, I don't blame you for taking an interest in supporting candidates -- we share that interest. I think that's great, actually. And, although it doesn't need to be said, you have a great track record of doing positive things for our community. None of these observations by me are intended to impugn you.
ReplyDeleteBut it's important that we have a level playing field and, for that to happen, everybody has to play by the same rules.
There is also the matter of the ethics of sitting council people accepting a donation from someone while deciding whether or not to bestow public largess upon him -- but that's a matter for the candidates.
Roch -
ReplyDeleteI believe your statements are false, cause harm, and were made without adequate research into the truthfulness of the statements.
What statements, specifically, are false?
ReplyDelete