Monday, September 06, 2010

Sanctimonious bullshit

(Greensboro, NC) Joe Guarino continues to wag his scolding finger at people who do not bow to his moralizing. His new gig is to accuse people who dare to think about internet access at the public library with any depth or complexity as "relativists." This time his target is City Council representative Zack Matheny.

In typical Guarino fashion, he impugns Matheny's character through innuendo then levels his indictment:
"Matheny's posited insistence that proposing filters at public libraries is not a 'black and white issue' is a statement that smacks of relativism."
It is condemnable "relativism," according to Joe, because Matheny's proposals would fail to completely stop people from viewing porn at the library. But here's the thing, Joe's preferred solution of mandatory "porn" filters on all computers would also fail to completely stop people from viewing porn. Both options are "relativistic." 

"Porn" filters are imperfect and defeatable and, as such, would still allow people to engage in the practices Joe wants to stop. The difference between porn filters and other options is the answer to the question of to whom do we give responsibility for imperfect options? Joe would bestow responsibility on the imperfect policing of a corporation that also blocks legitimate content, others would give responsibility to users of the library and library staff. 

The only "absolute" means of prohibiting anybody from ever viewing sexually explicit content on a library computer is to remove the computers. By not advocating for the absolute solution, Joe places himself among the "relativists" -- which makes his self-righteous moralizing accusations a pile of sanctimonious bullshit.

5 comments:

  1. "The only "absolute" means of prohibiting anybody from ever viewing sexually explicit content on a library computer is to remove the computers."

    He's already advocated that and I presume certain books are next on his list. Honestly, I think he's slipping rapidly down that slippery slope of having only one worthy opinion and everyone else's is trash. How very American. How very un-exceptional.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think Joe has actually called for removing all computers from the library, but I would appreciate a link to such a statement if I am wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roch, I know you take a very liberal stance on most things, but would you really want "your child" to be able to watch porn at the library, I think not. So in all sense and sensability something has to be done and putting filters on the computers is just a sensable, and easy thing to do. Beau

    ReplyDelete
  4. And here it is:

    "I agree, Jaycee, that some people will not agree with the decisions that might be made. Frankly, I am not unsympathetic with the idea of taking the computers out. It would solve the problem, as you suggest. People were able to prosper and succeed and thrive for many years without having internet access in libraries."

    http://guarino.typepad.com/guarino/2010/08/perkins-matheny-vaughan-rakestraw-vote-to-permit-porn-surfing-at-greensboro-public-library.html?cid=6a00d8341d1c8253ef0134864fd9cd970c#comment-6a00d8341d1c8253ef0134864fd9cd970c

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Sue. I had seen that and forgotten about it. While I think it stops short of advocating for the removal of computers, it certainly provides some additional perspective and cause for concern.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...