Monday, September 13, 2010

Why "hits" are not websites and why "porn" is not porn

(Greensboro, NC) From the Public Library's logs, the following were identified by the content throttling software as porn hits.



...and scripting files like this, a JavaScript file the user does not see but that is delivered to the user's computer to control some function of the web page behind the scenes:

Takeaway:
  1. Filters identify and log things as porn that are not porn.
  2. Filters count and log as "hits" not just web pages but all of the components that combine to construct a web page, like those above. "Hits" do not equal web pages or web sites any more than any of the items above are websites or web pages.

4 comments:

  1. """"""""""(Greensboro, NC) From the Public Library's logs, the following were identified by the content throttling software as porn hits.""""""""""""

    Will you please post your definition of porn.... Beau

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is about what the software filters identify as porn, some examples offered above. I disagree with the software's determination that these things are porn. What about you, Beau? Are those green beans porn in your book?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhhh the Liberal tactic of answering a question with a question, I simply asked for your definition of what is porn. I think the rabbit was perverted!!! Beau

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel for the library patrons who might have been hindered in their quest to see a rabbit's tongue. Must have been frustrating.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...