In the post, I asked readers to look at the file and see two things for themselves:
- Many items flagged as porn are not porn at all.
- Each counted item does not represent a web page. These logs also count images, styling files, script files and other elements that combine to compose a single web page. Each item is a hit. Hits are what are counted, not websites. There were 500 hits.
"It should be comprehensible to the rational mind that these are not 500 'visits' or even 'pages.'...It shows why it is disingenuous to report these items as counting 'porn site visits.'"So what does Internet filter advocate and at-large City Council representative Danny Thompson do? At last night's council meeting, he refers to this blogger and announces that the information I requested* and evaluated reports the very thing I explained it did not report, his remarks conforming to what I said is disingenuous.
Thompson: "From twelve thirty to eight thirty P.M. I understand there was about 500 inappropriate or pornographic websites on August the twenty-third that Cymphonix had counted."No. Wrong. There were not 500 websites. That is what I explained there were not. There were 500 hits (and many of those were not even to porn sites). As the library has explained, as I have explained and as Sue Polinsky has explained, hits do not equate to websites and interchanging them reveals the kind of ignorance that disqualifies one from claiming knowledge of the issue or it is the kind of prevarication that disqualifies one from elected office.
![]() |
| Thompson waves a stack of library incident reports. |
Previously, Thompson waved a stack of nearly 200 incident reports from the library at a council meeting and implied that a majority of them were for viewing porn or inappropriate web sites when, in fact, only twenty-one were. Subsequently, somebody misrepresented the findings of another report from the library before it became public to Tony Wilkins who transcribed the mistaken information to his blog, crediting it to anonymous sources. Now there is this third misrepresentation.
If Thompson is unconcerned with establishing a reputation as a prevaricator, that is his business, but when he takes the careful fact-based analysis of this blogger and misrepresents it to the public, that is downright contemptuous -- of me and the public he represents. It is sinister and unworthy of an elected official.
[* Thompson also misstated what I had requested in my records request: Thompson said, "He asked how many web sites were, inappropriate websites, were attempted in one day." No, I did not ask for that, I asked for log files. But it helps Thompson to set up his deception by saying I had asked for what he is going to wrongly say the record reports, as if he's thinking, "I want to say this reports the number of websites, so I'll say that is what Roch asked for even though it is not."]

Because we spent most of last night with family (it's a holiday), I didn't see this post (they're all sleeping right now) till now. If what you say is accurate and I have no reason to dis-believe it, Mr. Thompson seems to have deliberately misconstrued facts and turned them into fiction. I get a little cranky when carefully-garnered facts are turned into political agenda.
ReplyDeleteMr. Thompson appears to be simply wrong but worse, he is not reading, listening, understanding or comprehending what is being explained to him. Because it's my business, I am particularly offended but would like to offer Mr. Thompson some one-on-three tutoring.
My offer? Roch and I will invite Mr. Thompson to an educational session (others can attend) with facts, details, a projector, a lesson and the objective? To understand what hits are, what page views are, and what sites are mistakenly labeled "porn" by this particular filter. That's all I want: 45 minutes of his (and my, and Roch's) time. A public setting. No secrets. Just a learning session.
In the spirit of this season (at least for my family), let's get this guy up to speed on what he keeps talking about inaccurately.
Danny? Will you join us at my office for this? Open invite. We're your constituents; please think it over.
Finally, do you really think this sort of inaccurate sort of headline helps us with our Google Fiber application? Why would a leading tech business want to locate in a town screaming "porn in the library" when their "facts" are inaccurate, constantly repeated, and so over-the-top that it makes the entire city look, well, stupid?
You name the time, Danny. Without speaking for Roch who I hope agrees, I'll be here, ready and willing, with pictures, graphs and charts. And some common sense.
Thanks for commenting, Sue. I would be happy to substantiate anything you think you are left having to take my word for, but it should be all here in its primary sources. There is the file from the library, Danny on video and links to other sources.
ReplyDeleteYou make a generous offer. I think plenty of information for Thompson's education is already available. His pattern has been to distort it to support his predetermined "solution." I am not sure he cares that he is getting it wrong. I am not sure it is unintentional.
Nonetheless, I cannot rail against ignorance then refuse to educate, so I'd participate. (Although I wish Thompson would put some effort into understanding what is already before him -- then he would not need special tutoring).
I also think it would be more instructive and more informative to do what you suggest with actual Cymphonix log files in had. The single PDF I posted is an example, but the library is trying to overcome some glitches that are keeping Cymphonix from exporting logs to CSV format which, unlike the PDF and as you know, would allow for parsing and collating data for greater clarity and insight.
I think your offer is admirable, but somehow this strikes me as a case of "you can lead a horse to water..."
ReplyDelete