GREENSBORO, NC -- Why does Mayor of Greensboro Nancy Vaughan post her commentary on city government behind a mandatory Facebook login? I'd like to read what the mayor has to say about possible criminal actions of city staff in improperly executing a contract awarding a $750,000 loan to the International Civil Rights Museum -- especially after the Mayor recently voted to approve raises for the City staff utlimatley responsible: Former City Manager Denise Turner-Roth and City Attorney Mujeeb Shah-Kahn.
I can't read the mayor's commentary though, because, like 60% of Americans, I don't use Facebook and the mayor's online communications are exclusive to Facebook.
Madam Mayor, we're interested in what you have to say. How about saying it on the public side of Facebook's walls?
(Same question for you, Councilman Tony Wilkins.)
And she blocks those of us who challenge her on Facebook so that we can no longer see what she writes.
ReplyDeleteAnd maybe she doesn't want you to know it was Skip Alston who notarized the fraudulent $750,000 City Loan Contract:
ReplyDeleteIt had occurred to me that part of the attraction of Facebook might me to limit who one has to engage. That would have to speak for itself.
ReplyDeleteI'll try to answer that, Roch.
ReplyDeleteI recently had decided that I was going to put a blog back up, even to the point of choosing a name for it. I'm still considering it.
But one advantage for Facebook that I like is that people use their real names and I seem to get more of a broad range of communication on Facebook than I did blogging.
And Facebook is also free. I may be unaware of some of your objections to Facebook and I'm certainly open to listen.
I guess one could do both.
There are a lot of reasons people don't want to participate in Facebook. Personally, I don't need it for the services it purports to provide and I don't wish to contribute to what is its actual business, which is building dossiers on people's lives for the purpose of marketing to them. Forcing me to choose between acquiescing to Facebook's data collection or not being able to read your online commentary seems like an unnecessary limited choice for a public official to offer constituents.
ReplyDeleteThanks for commenting and for the digging you did on the matter of the loan contract.