Friday, April 19, 2013

N&R smears apparent murder victim

GREENSBORO, NC-- There is a disturbing slant to the News & Record's recent coverage of an alleged murder: besmirching the victim through innuendo. In reporting on the death by gunshot of landlord Marwan Mukhiber Mujali, the N&R has taken to publishing commentary about the victim that is needlessly callous and irrelevant.

Here:
"Some said he would go the extra mile to help residents. Others said he would turn a blind eye to problems and was bad-tempered."

Here:
"Tenants have mixed emotions about Mujali, who lived in High Point. "

Here:
"On Wednesday, some tenants described Mujali as 'an honest man' who did whatever needed to be done to keep the property safe, a man who will be missed. Others described him as someone with a bad temper who failed to make repairs in a timely fashion"

4 comments:

  1. It happened in East Greensboro-- the rules don't apply here, remember. It's only when it's downtown or some other fancy neighborhood that the N&R cares what they print.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like impartial and fair reporting of both sides. Regretfully he is deceased and cannot have his day.......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roch, I applaud you for posting this. I was so infuriated at this post-mortem libel that I almost -- almost -- created an account at the News & Record to make a comment, but if I recall I don't think they even made comments available on that slanderous piece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are correct, Liberty, neither of the N&R stories allow comments.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...