Friday, June 11, 2010

But, but, but... He started it! Tabor swung before getting punched

{Update: Here is a better compilation of the frames.]

Nathan Tabor has found quick fame as the peaceful innocent protester who was attacked without provocation in Greensboro, NC on June 8th. He was on Fox's Neil Cavuto yesterday afternoon as the video of him being punched in the face was played again and again.

Apparently Nathan Tabor and Govenor Spencer have both been charged as a result of the fight. If either goes to trial, I am sure the video evidence will be a big factor, and I'm not sure it will support Tabor's narrative.

There were clearly at least two cameras taping during the affray. Only a single clip, composed of selected segments from both cameras has been released (and now removed from YouTube for terms of service violations).

Full video from both cameras will be instructive. There may have been things captured that are not in the released clip. There may relevant evidence that neither camera captured, but I saved a copy of the original and looking at it more carefully this morning, it shows that Tabor punched or shoved Spencer immediately prior to Spencer throwing the punch that struck Tabor in the face and is getting all the airplay.

Take a look at these three frames, in the sequence in which they occur.:

1) Here, Tabor is in the background, center, white shirt. He is following through on a left-handed punch (or shove) that has Spencer (black shirt), falling away from Tabor. The cuff of Tabor's shirt is seen to the left of Spencer's head. The lady in blue has reached up to steady Spencer.



2) Here is a split second later, from Tabor's camera. Spencer's hand is seen (lower left corner) grabbing Tabor's forearm. Tabor's fist is clenched. The lady in blue is reaching for her purse.


3) What follows is Spencer's punch to Tabor's face. This is the moment of contact, the lady in blue moving away from the fight.

11 comments:

  1. Roch, thank you for providing a balanced and thought provoking post.

    I think I as well as Tabor's political allies over at Joe's need to take a time out and analyze this situation objectively, without regard for anyone's political or religious leanings.

    Personally, I think both men will drop the charges. I don't think a beer summit would be out of order.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roch, I am not sure that I am seeing what you are seeing (or interpreting). But I appreciate the effort.

    But even if Tabor threw a punch, would it not be justified if he and his wife had been each pushed twice?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just pray that whoever has the full footage comes forward and helps clear up some of this. Maybe some nearby security cameras caught some of the action? Something tells me the full video will not surface and by subpoena time it will have been deemed irrelevant by Tabor's political ally and thus deleted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Roch, your analysis is as clear as mud.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joe, I also looked for any frames that showed Sanders touching Tabor's wife. I could not find any, but has Tabor said he took a swing at Sanders because he touched his wife?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it was more a shove than a swing, but yes, I think that is what he inferred.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Roch: Did Sanders say in the video that he hit Tabor because he "hit me" or "shoved me"

    You like to talk about facts all the time. What are the "facts" in this case?

    ReplyDelete
  8. On the edited video, Tabor follows Spencer to Spencer's car with his camera where the two men have this exchange.

    Tabor: "Sir, stick around, the police wants to talk to you."

    Spencer: "I beg your pardon."

    Tabor: "Stick around the police wanna talk to you."

    S: "Take that camera and shove it up your ass, alright? Now if you're gonna fuck around, you'll get hurt."

    T: "You've already hit me..."

    S: "[inaudible] you pushed me."

    T: "...you threatening me again?"

    S; "You pushed me."

    T: "You pushed my wife."

    S: "I didn't push your wife."

    T: "Yep, I got it on video."

    S: "[inaudible] off the sidewalk."

    The video Tabor refers to, that he claims shows Spencer pushing his wife, has not been publicly produced. Does it exist?

    ReplyDelete
  9. All you have to do is listen to this "activist" before the punch and after and in his car driving away.

    That is all the evidence needed to get Spencer convicted and fined. He can also be sure there will be a civil suit coming.

    Also, do a web search on him and his past activities.

    He is a thug and has always been a thug.

    Papa Ry

    ReplyDelete
  10. Roche,
    Your analysis is as lame as a three legged horse. Trying to paint Spencer as the aggreived party is ludicrous and beyond jutification. The man was always moving forward, and that's the definition of aggression. I'm amazed that you would stoop to such an unsupportable argument.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jon, I am not painting anything. I am dissecting the empirical visual record. You chose to argue against your characterization of what I am doing instead of arguing against the evidence itself. Is there something you find wrong about the pictures or my descriptions of them?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...