Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Shaw vs. Spagnola: Shaw misrepresents herself, Spag is right

I do not have a dog in the district 3 county commissioners race. I don't live in the district and there are things I like and dislike about both Republican candidates Linda Shaw (incumbent, no website) and Sam Spagnola (website, blog). My interest, as it often is, is in ferretting out the facts from contradictory assertions.

Spagnola recently wrote on his campaign website that Linda Shaw said at a candidates forum "we are going to have to raise taxes" to pay for recently passed bonds. Shaw denied having said that.

Most recently, The News & Record reported:
“It wasn’t that I supported the bonds,” Shaw said. “I supported the right of the people to vote on them. And I have never said I wanted to raise taxes or I thought we were going to raise taxes. That’s just not true.”
But it is true and Shaw is wrong in her recollection of both her support for the bonds and her anticipation of higher taxes, as her own words demonstrate. In the video below, Shaw says she hopes the education bond will pass and she says:
"I know it is going to be a tax increase, hopefully that sales tax we would like to get." (00:42)

1 comment:

  1. Interestingly enough, during our meeting with the N&R editorial staff last week, Shaw tried to claim that the clip in question was only in reference to the jail bonds.

    I asked her if she was sure she wanted to take that position in front of the N&R staff because she wasn't talking about the jail bonds, she WAS talking about the school bonds and if she wanted to deny that I would also YouTube a larger portion of the clip to prove it.

    She has since backed down from trying to take that untruthful position as indicated in her latest remarks reported by Joe Killian. Even in those remarks and despite what she says on the video clip she is still pretending that she didn't personally support the bonds.

    I guess she doesn't feel the need to explain what she meant when she said "I hope they will" in reference to the voters passing the bonds.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...