The city has started to seriously respond to Sam's, Joe's and my request for public records today with the delivery of what I estimate to be close to a couple thousand pages of documents. Previously we have received perhaps several hundred pages of documents and 30 DVDs. More are expected by March 5th.
Reading, evaluating and digesting these documents will be a huge task and one that demands serious attention. Even if it were something that Sam, Joe and I could handle alone, the subject matters are of such importance that they deserve as many keen minds as possible to assess. So I'm proposing The Public Records Project.
This will be an open meeting where interested parties can come together to examine these documents, share what they find to be important and copy what they want. I'm hoping this can be collaborative, with sharing of labor and good give and take about what we find.
Greensboro Public Affairs Director Pat Boswell suggested that such a meeting might be accommodated at city hall. She did stress that she'd have to check to make sure this would be okay, but this would be a great place if possible. Copiers would be available and Pat would be nearby should questions arise. If not at city hall, some place with a copier and room for people.
We are expecting more documents by March 5th. I'd like to do this as soon as possible after that. If you think you'd like to participate, drop me a line or leave a comment.
Just let me know when.
ReplyDeleteGreat idea Roch.
ReplyDeleteWill any steps be taken to keep the documents secure during the meeting - for instance, to make sure no one runs off with a document?
Anthony,
ReplyDeleteI hadn't thought about the possibility of a Sandy Berger. It's possible, I suppose, that someone may come across something they don't want others to see and attempt to steal it away; and I wouldn't want anybody accidentally leaving with an original (copy). I'm not sure how to address that. I'm open to suggestions.
Reading, evaluating and digesting these documents will be a huge task and one that demands serious attention. Even if it were something that Sam, Joe and I could handle alone, the subject matters are of such importance that they deserve as many keen minds as possible to assess. So I'm proposing The Public Records Project.
ReplyDeleteWhy not outline the documents into some cronological context much like what JB did in the latest issue of the Rhino Times. Beau
I'm In, Roch.
ReplyDeleteGreat idea.
I would like to participate.
ReplyDeleteI don't have any non-invasive, non-cumbersome ideas for document security at them moment, but I'll think on it. I doubt anyone will try anything, but it's possible, and I think you're better safe than sorry, especially with something as contentious as this has been.
ReplyDeleteAnother thing that might be helpful if someone has time - have a cheat sheet made up ahead of time listing some of the known individuals we are likely to see named in the documents, along with a brief line or two identifying them (just something simple like "Greensboro police officer" or "City attorney" or "Attorney with law firm X, representing so-and-so"). Might be useful for interpreting some of the documents, since people will be bringing varying levels of knowledge to the meeting. I for one don't know any of the lawyers or law firms involved, but I know others are aware of this info.
Thanks, Anthony. When we get around to this, it will be among a gathering of other people, so someone would have to come across the specific document they wanted to hide before anybody else and conceal it in the presence of other people. Possible, I suppose.
ReplyDeleteI agree that some way of organizing the information will be important. We'll have to give some thought to that as well.
So instead of slamming the City for not giving you the records, you now see they were working on it all along. Those people have other jobs in addition to making the thousands of copies for your public request. I say Kudos to the City staff for coming through with the documents and you should back off many of your previous comments. It is that culture we are in now of wanting instant gratification and instant information. The City doesnt move fast enough for you and then you attack attack. They get you the information and then narry a compliment.
ReplyDeleteAnonymous, time for a fact check:
ReplyDelete- I never attacked anybody.
- There are people employed by the city whose jobs are, in fact, to respond to public records request.
- The records request was not as praise-worthy as I originally thought.
- If the city had been more transparent over the years, instead of having its leaders provide ever-changing and legally unfounded excuses for not releasing documents, including the ultimate last fall by Mitch Johnson saying he was done releasing documents, then the city wouldn't be in this position of having to play catch-up.
- I don't know how you define instant gratification, but our request was made 124 days ago.
Please get your facts straight next time you comment here.